ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting 2020 Analysis: Four freshmen join deep DB room

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Four defensive backs will join the competition in training camp and with Paulson Adebo's decision to stay at Stanford for his senior year the defensive backfield looks good on paper. (I expect Scotty Edwards to sign with Stanford next month, but he will go on an LDS mission after high school.)

Ayden Hector and Alaka'i Gilman will play safety and Hector had the best senior season of the group when you factor in his All-American event performances. Brandon Jones and Omari Porter are cornerbacks and I'm most curious about how Jones looks in camp after missing all but one game his senior season.

The most important question about the defensive backfield for next season is what happens at every non-cornerback position? Will Malik Antoine get pushed at free safety? Is Kendall Williamson set at strong safety? And is Jonathan McGill the answer at nickel? Returners always have an edge and of the incoming players I think Hector has the best chance to make a move onto the field early.

https://stanford.rivals.com/news/2020-analysis-four-dbs-will-compete-in-a-deep-room

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News