ADVERTISEMENT

2011 Class and Where They Are

Baboli

All-American
Nov 8, 2004
Given what seems to be the uniqueness of how the '11 class is approaching the end of their college careers, I thought I would try and look at it and make some sense of what happened and why.

Below is the class in its entirety and where they will be next year.

Brandan Austin 5th Year
Davon Cajuste 5th Year
Kevin Anderson 5th Year
Kevin Hogan 5th Year
Rachard Pippens 5th Year
Remound Wright 5th Year
Ronnie Harris 5th Year
James Vaughters NFL
Jordan Richards NFL
Ty Montgomery NFL
Anthony Hayes Not Invited Back (Done with football?)
Charlie Hopkins Not Invited Back (Will play TE for UVA next year, in a good Masters program)
J.B. Salem Not Invited Back (Done with football)
Kevin Reihner Not Invited Back (Will play OL at PSU next year, dont know what he is studying)
Lance Callihan Not Invited Back (Done with football)
Evan Crower Transferred (Dont know where, and if this is certain)
Kelsey Young Transferred (Boise State)
Patrick Skov Transferred (Georgia Tech)
Wayne Lyons Transferred (Michigan)

First of all, all that I say is my opinion, nothing more. And my opinion comes with bias, so please keep that in mind. I may be wrong, you may just disagree, you may agree, but the point is that I am not attempting to be definitive here, I only share my thoughts give my view into this subject.

Feel free to ask questions if you like.

Ill start with my opinion on 5th year invite /no invite decisions. While avoiding judgement on any individual decision, as a process, Stanford has a responsibility to itself, and the management of its football team to make this decision. IMO, the original agreement is for 4 years, and a college degree, nothing more. At the end of 4 years, due to a quirk of the system, i.e. giving players 5 years to play, but being able to graduate in 4, the school with total propriety can determine which kids it would like to invite back for a 5th year.

I have head of no player who has complained about this. I have heard of some who didnt agree that they werent invited back, but none who disageed with the process in principle.

Said differently, they hold an option on that 5th year. But it is a bilateral option and we are seeing the corrollary to a team exercising its options.

When a team does not invite a player back, it is making a business decision as to what is in its best interests Totally appropriate. However, IMO, it also sends a messge to those that are invited back that they should look at their best interests, as they too have an option here.

More to follow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News