ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Wash. State game visitor list updated as confirmed

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Note: I expect to add a few more names and will edit this post as I confirm with recruits.

First is who won't be here: Myles Hinton postponed his visit until the Oregon State game. He had season-ending shoulder surgery and apparently the family doesn't want to travel right now. Myles messaged me yesterday that he was still feeling pain. Myles and his brother Christopher (five star 2019 DE/DT committed to Michigan) will be at the Michigan-Penn State game Nov. 3. I've heard that Myles may decide to commit sooner rather than later, which makes these next two visits more important than previously thought. This is by all the accounts I've heard/read a Stanford vs. Michigan battle.

Obviously, if this becomes a contest of game-day environments it's already over. The greater concern, in my opinion, is that Stanford's game-day visits tend to be good experiences but don't feature a lot of time with coaches. That may seem obvious but there are some staffs that manage do it. (Georgia 2019 ILB JD Bertrand was impressed during his visit to Florida for the LSU game that the defensive coaches and Dan Mullen spent time recruiting him.) Myles is an instant-impact player who, as things stand now, would likely compete for the right tackle job from the moment he steps on campus.

Senior center Drake Nugent will visit. Nugent has missed games due to an injury but he hopes to play Friday night. If he's admitted he will commit to Stanford.

Junior quarterback Jay Butterfield will visit this weekend. Recent developments make this a more noteworthy visit than simply a legacy recruit from the Bay Area attending a game. He's a top 50 national recruit on Rivals and top-100 on another site. I doubt Stanford decides to offer Butterfield, or any other 2020 quarterback, soon and I'll look into that timeline/thought process after Butterfield's visit. He's having a great season (65% completion, 2,257 yards, 33 touchdowns to four interceptions).

His midseason highlights:

Junior defensive backs Brandon Jones and Ayden Hector will make return trips to campus. It's the third visit since the spring for Jones and Hector camped in June. Stanford is in a good spot with Jones. Jones is a playmaker at cornerback who has good size and really impressed at Stanford's June camp. He participated even after he got an offer and I can say with confidence that Duane Akina was ecstatic with how Jones did.

Stanford could do well with Hector if they decide to offer. Yes, Hector's father played at USC but his brother is a student at Stanford. Hector is not his listed 6-1 but he makes plays and reports offers from USC, Washington, Oregon, Washington State, Cal, Colorado, Arizona, ASU, Florida and others. He's a four star, top-250 player on another site.

Four star junior tight end DJ Rogers also is visiting. He's a teammate of Hector's. This also qualifies as more interesting/encouraging because of recent events. Stanford is almost certainly not going to get two tight ends in 2019 after Austin Stogner decided to stick with his Oklahoma commitment. I can now make an even stronger argument to take two in 2020. Rogers is a good athlete who has 289 of the team's 1,020 passing yards, according to Maxpreps.

Junior wide receiver Daniel Jackson is coming out from Kansas. He reports offers from Notre Dame, Iowa and several Big 12(14) teams. Stanford continues to build its 2020 wide receiver board from a position of strength. Bryce Farrell is committed and John Humphreys is a strong lean to Stanford as well. Stanford could aim for three in the class.

Junior inside linebacker Austin "Ozzie" Nicholas is someone who has caught the staff's attention and he's coming up from San Diego. He reports offers from Cal, Washington State and San Diego State.

Junior safety Justin Livingston (Paramount, Calif.) is a low-profile defensive back prospect with an offer from San Jose State. His midseason highlights.

Junior receiver/running back Casey Filkins (Lake Oswego, Oregon): Filkins doesn't report any offers at the moment but he attended Stanford's camp in June. He put in the type of performance that after the third or fourth rep he won I thought, 'Who the heck is Filkins?' It's a tough year to be a receiver on Stanford's board, though. Here are junior season highlights.

Senior safety Caden Kolesar: Kolesar is a walk-on candidate. He reports offers from Army and multiple DII teams. He lists a 4.1 GPA and 31 ACT in his Twitter bio. He attends high school in Lakewood, Ohio, but seems to be originally from Oakland. Senior season highlights.

Senior TE/OT Wakely Lush (San Clemente High, Calif.): Lush is an exceptional student (National AP Scholar and 31 ACT) who plays for one of the top programs in the state. He camped at Stanford in June at tight end and I thought looked comparable to Kyle McCombs. What's interesting is Stanford is pursuing him as a walk-on OT, where he has played this season. He's listed at 6-5 and 240 pounds and if memory serves that sounds about right. Here are highlights of some of his top plays this season.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News