ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Update on close to 2017 class

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
I can offer some clarification about how the class may finish with the current uncommitted prospects.
  • As things stand I expect Leonard Warner to sign with Florida State. As of this morning I am confident Warner was still waiting on admissions, but he has decided to join the Florida State class. His recruitment could be remembered for a while as one that did not follow a typical path -- certainly not when involving Stanford -- and he will join a Seminoles class that until recently I don't believe he was considering. Best wishes to Warner as the qualities that had many here believing he'd be a good fit at Stanford should serve him well wherever he goes.
  • I believe cautious optimism is warranted with Ryan Johnson, but both the Auburn and Stanford coaches have reasons to feel good about the situation. What I heard a couple days ago made me like Stanford's chances, but it's possible Johnson is genuinely torn, and that's affecting the confidence level of both sides. Johnson grew up an Auburn fan and holding a dream to play in the SEC -- close to friends and family -- doesn't easily go away.
  • I expect Connor Wedington to sign with Stanford. Any time a recruit goes on visits there is a chance that he changes his mind or feels more comfortable elsewhere, but things look good for Stanford. There aren't many cases of a recruit de-committing from a school when he finds out he's admitted and then not signing with Stanford. Losing admits is one thing but I believe Stanford has a perfect record -- at least since I started following recruiting -- with the category Wedington falls in. I think there are a lot of be reasons to excited about Wedington and the versatility he offers as a runner and receiver.
A quick note about 2018: The class size right now is projected to be smaller than 2017 with the understanding that we're a long way from knowing about roster attrition that may affect that class. I expect more 2018 offers will go out this week. It will be interesting to track who is offered and comes out for the junior days, which I expect will be in the first weeks of March and April.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News