ADVERTISEMENT

Football Troy Taylor Uncensored

NoQuestionRox

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2008
As y'all are aware, Troy Taylor does not make opening statements in post-game pressers. He prefers to follow the "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" axiom of human engagement. But here's is what he is thinking on the way to the podium, and what he would say if he didn't mute himself....

You guys have eyes. You can see our talent level is that of an FCS team, and not even one of the best ones because we lost at home to Sac State. We don't have even a high level FCS OL, and it's really difficult to be competitive in games when you don't have a QB who can do basic things. I can scheme plays up all I want, but the OL has to block for any of them. And if we are able to scheme something to fool a defense and get a receiver or ball carrier open, they have to have the speed to run away from the defense and score. If we get caught before the end zone, we don't have an OL good enough to power us into the end zone on a condensed field.

As for Defense, it can only be played well with good athletes. I don't know if you've noticed, but we don't have much team speed or quickness, I think our guys try hard, but they are physically not up to par for the Pac-12 or the ACC. I'm not even trying to win games this year because I don't think it's realistic. We somehow beat Hawaii, were so undermanned vs. USC I probably would have forfeited the game - before it started - if that was a real option, and were close against Sac State and Arizona, maybe should have won both games. But really, we aren't here to celebrate beating those teams anyway. If I had my druthers, we wouldn't even play games this year and all I would do is recruit and have practices, and spend a lot of time lobbying the administration about relaxing the transfer hurdles just so we can get FBS level football players on this roster. Maybe we can relax admissions a little bit just to give us a fighting chance. But whatever the case, there really is no point to making a statement because this is a total rebuild and we suck beyond comprehension right now.

OK, maybe that's not exactly what Taylor is thinking, but everyone has to agree it's at least in the ballpark. Never seen anything so bad at the FBS level. It's just shocking how untalented the team is and I've not seen much of the games. My perception is based on following bits and pieces of gamecasts, looking at the stats, reading posts from people commenting on what they see, and listening to what Taylor actually says. I swear he's treating these games like exhibitions, just to find out who cares and is willing to put in the effort to get better, and who just wants to collect a Stanford degree. Never have I seen a coach show no concern at all about the W-L outcome. That's how bad it is, so what is the point of making an opening statement?

I don't think any coach has ever faced a tougher challenge than Troy Taylor has right now. Other coaches have taken on terrible programs, but now, you've got virtual free agency to get better quick, with Taylor not having that option and competing against others who do, plus the ones who are already established. Stanford is asking its Bradford M. Freeman Director of Football to win a footrace with a 50 lb. backpack on. What is there to talk about? All focus has to be on figuring out how to do it, not talking to observers who can't help, about why he's not winning races carrying that burden.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News