ADVERTISEMENT

Tiger Woods coming back to finish degree

BenParker

Publisher
Staff
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
stanford.rivals.com
After years of putting off his studies, legendary golfer Tiger Woods is coming back to The Farm to finish his degree. Originally an Economics major, Woods has decided to switch his major to Earth Systems. He has a newfound interest in science and wants to make use of all the amazing resources that the Stanford Doerr School of Sustainability has to offer.

“All that time on the golf course has made me appreciate nature more,” Woods said of why he was switching majors. “I want to give back to the planet. I want to make a difference.”

As far as which track Woods will take within the Earth Systems major, he said he will take the Oceans, Atmosphere, and Climate track. That’s the area he feels best suits his interests.

“I’ve really taken an interest in whales,” Woods said. “The Humpback whale in particular is fascinating. The way they breach and have a diet consisting of krill and small schooling fish is truly remarkable. I want to help them achieve greatness.”

When asked why the tiger shark wasn’t his favorite marine creature, it was clear that Woods has done his research and really given this serious thought.

“They sometimes get taken out by pods of killer whales,” Woods explained. “They’re not as intimidating as I would like them to be. If I’m choosing a predator of choice, it’s definitely the killer whale. Killer whales have the same kind of mentality that I have on the golf course. They’re smart, tough, and able to get out of tough situations to rise to the top. Tiger sharks aren’t like that.”

While a lot of the classes has Woods excited, one class in particular stands out to him.

“BIO 143: Quantitative Methods for Marine Ecology and Conservation,” Woods said of which class most excites him. “Better understanding the ecology of marine life is going to be a lot of fun. It’s going to be like a whole new adventure for me. I can hardly wait.”

On top of having a favorite class, Woods also has an ambitious project lined up: He wants to build a dolphin sanctuary that will allow dolphins who have been exploited by the dolphinarium industry to find peace and comfort. Former Stanford star quarterback Andrew Luck, who studied architectural design for his undergrad, will assist Woods in making this project happen.

“Andrew has been amazing,” Woods said of Luck, who is also back on The Farm furthering his studies. “His knowledge of architecture and his ability to build a wide variety of structures is really going to help my dolphin sanctuary dream become a reality. I look forward to collaborating with him.”

Woods acknowledged that it’s going to be an adjustment returning to Stanford as a student, but he has a plan to make the adjustment as smooth as possible by really integrating himself with his fellow students.

“I’m looking forward to late nights at TAP,” Woods said, referencing The Axe & Palm, a favorite student destination. “Their shakes are really really good. I miss those. I also am excited for jazz and comedy nights at CoHo. That’s really going to help me find the right balance between enjoying life as a student while also staying focused on my studies.”

While he is planning to get involved in campus life, Woods does not have any intention to give a halftime speech at this year’s Big Game. He believes the speech from 2009 gave him and the football team bad luck.

“In hindsight, that speech was a mistake,” Woods admitted. “I shouldn’t have said ‘The second half is ours.’ That clearly fired up the Cal team. It also didn’t do a lot of good for me, either.”

While he won’t be giving a speech, Woods did say he’ll be at the game and all other home football games by joining students in The Red Zone.

“I’m looking forward to being in The Red Zone on Saturdays again,” Woods said with enthusiasm. “The Troy Taylor era of Stanford football has me fired up. I’ll make sure to wear a red golf shirt and cheer on the Cardinal as loudly as I can. Especially against Cal. I can’t stand them.”

In regard to other sports, Woods says he’ll be around for those when he can as well. He has fond memories watching the Stanford men’s basketball team defeat Arizona to stay #1 in the nation after Nick Robinson’s game winner.

“That was such a great shot,” Woods recalled. “I’m excited to join the Sixth Man at Maples as well. Maybe my cheering will help them get back to the NCAA tournament.”

As for whether or not he’ll get involved with the golf team, Woods said he’ll be around to help if needed. He’s hoping to really help the team with the mental side of the game, which he mastered during his incredible pro career.

“Coach Ray and I have talked about it,” Woods said with a smile. “I’m looking forward to helping the team slow their heart rate down and get into the same Zen-like state of mind that helped me win 15 majors.”

All in all, Tiger Woods is excited for this new chapter of his Stanford experience. He’ll be studying something new and seeing life at Stanford through a new lens. It’ll be fun to see how this goes for him and where this newfound passion for marine biology will take him.

P.S. Happy April Fool’s Day!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News