ADVERTISEMENT

"The Streak"

stanthefan

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2016
I realize some on the board aren't interested in the – I don't know what to call them: non-revenue; minor; Olympic- sports, and in fact, some seem hostile to them, perhaps thinking they shift interest and resources away from football and basketball. But I figure enough of us enjoy our over all sporting excellence, and relish “The Streak”, that I thought a year end look at where we stand, and our chances of continuing the streak, might be worth while.

Five sports in which we have previously won national championships have concluded their seasons, with disappointing results:

(sport / championship results / number of previous national championships / year of last national championship)

women's cross country / 5th place / 4 / 2003
men's cross country / 6th place / 5 / 2007
men's soccer / didn't qualify for play offs / 3 / 2017
women's soccer / lost in 1st round of play offs / 3 / 2019
women's volleyball / lost in 2nd round of playoffs / 9 / 2019

Here are the teams which seem to be in the hunt for a national championship, roughly in order of their chances of winning, and with the number of previous national championships, and the year of the last national champion listed after the name of the sport:

men's gymnastics / 7 / 2021: This team is LOADED. According to the College Gymnastics Association, Stanford's freshmen include the top 2, 4 of the top 5, and the 10th and 16 th rated national recruits. The sophmore class includes the 1st, 9th and 11th rated recruits. The upper classes are equally loaded, having won the last 2 national championships, and having studs like Malone, Briones, Loos, Gunther, etc. And The Beat Goes On; we've signed the #1 rated recruit in ;the next class.

women's golf / 1 / 2015:: This team is also LOADED. We lose no one off last year's team that buried the field in stroke play at the conference, regional and national level before losing in in the nationals at match play, where anything can happen. Heck, a frosh, became one of only 3 players ever to win at stroke play at the conference, regional and national level, and was everyone's national POY. And we add 3 teriffic frosh, one of whom, Zhang, is the 2 time winner of the medal given to the worlds best amatuer golfer. And The Beat Goes On: We've signed the #1 rated recruit for next year, and another promising addition.

Women's swimming / 12 / 2020: Also darn LOADED. At least 4 swimmers are strong contenders to win multiple events at the NCAAs. Forde has already won the 400 IM and 500 free at past NCAA meets. Smith has set world records in the 100 and 200 back, and took 2nd in the 100 fly at the Olympics. Huske holds the American record and won the Olympic trials in the 100 fly, and was selected for the Americal team for the worlds at 100 free, 200 free, 50 fly and 100 fly. Ruck has already placed 2nd in the 200 free, 2nd in the 200 back, and 3rd in the 100 back at the NCAAs. And there's loads of quality depth behind them. ATBGO: we've signed the #1, 2, 8, 15 and 18 rated recruits for next year.

Women's basket ball / 3 / 2021: We all know this one: returning national champs, #2 ranked after barely losing to #1 on their home court after leading most of the game. ATBGO: We signed the #1 recruit in the country.

women's water polo / 7 / 2019: I couldn't find a preseason ranking, However, the All American/Olympic standout Fischer sisters return to the Stanford team for the 1st time since 2019, as does All American / 2019 MPSF Newcomer of the Year Neushul, and 3 of our top scorers from last years team, that lost in the NCAA semis after losing most of our stars to the Olympics.

women's tennis / 21 / 2019: Again, I couldn't find a ranking, but given the teams history, and the addition of 2 terrific frosh, they've got to be contenders.

men's water polo / 11 / 2018: Again, no preseason ranking, but given our history and last year's 4th place finish, must be considered contenders.

baseball / 2 / 1988: According to the official site, we're 5th ranked preseason.

men's golf / 9 / 2019: 7th ranked.

Hopefully other posters can provide more info about the teams I don't know much about, and any contenders I've missed.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News