ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting The effect of the pandemic on AP classes

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
I've heard a bit about the effect the pandemic is having on courses that some high schools are providing. Several recruits have told me that they aren't taking an AP course their junior year because of remote learning but plan to take two their senior year. This seems to be an issue so far only with kids who are in schools that have gone "fully remote". I also heard from one recruit who had a couple nervous days trying to avoid an AP math course taught by a teacher with a "60 percent fail rate", according to a parent of the recruit. They didn't want to risk putting the chance of attending Stanford at risk but the school wasn't offering as many other choices this year as they typically do. (That recruit found a solution.)

Has anyone on the forum come across issues in their communities/schools about what classes will be offered in remote learning? I don't think this issue is a serious problem so far but I've only just started asking about it the past couple weeks.

By the way, it is possible some kids will use the pandemic as an excuse not to take a difficult course in a format that probably makes the class harder. That way it gives them an out for not doing what Stanford requires. That type of mentality isn't unheard of in Stanford recruiting when the parents are much more enthusiastic about the offer than the kid.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News