ADVERTISEMENT

Skill position usage 2011-2023

msqueri

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2006
In another thread I had occasion to draw on my research on skill position usage by Shaw and Taylor. Since I like having a place on the board I can reference via the search function, I'm sharing the data for anybody who's interested:

2011: 30 percent of snaps to TEs (Fleener, Toilolo, Ertz, Dudchock, Gottfried), 28 percent of snaps to WRs (Whalen, Montgomery, C. Owusu, Terrell, Patterson, Roberts), 22 percent of snaps to RBs (Taylor, Stewart, Gaffney, Wilkerson, Seale), 20 percent of snaps to FBs (Hewitt, Meinken, Ward) - 342 snaps per game total

2012: data not available

2013: data not available

2014: 43 percent of snaps to WRs (Cajuste, Montgomery, Rector, F. Owusu, Pratt, Trojan, Stallworth, Crane, Jordan, G. Krishnamurthi), 25 percent of snaps to TEs snaps (Hooper, Cotton, Taboada, Hopkins), 20 percent of snaps to RBs (Wright, Young, McCaffrey, Sanders, Seale), 11 percent of snaps to FBs snaps (Ward, Skov, Marx, Plantaric) - 324 snaps per game total

2015: 38 percent of snaps to WRs (Rector, Cajuste, F. Owusu, Stallworth, Irwin, Brandt-Sims, Jordan, Crane), 27 percent of snaps to TEs (Hooper, Schultz, Taboada), 25 percent of snaps to RBs (McCaffrey, Wright, Love, Sanders, McFadden), 10 percent of snaps to FBs (Marx, Harrell) - 316 snaps per game total

2016: 46 percent of snaps to WRs (Irwin, Rector, Arcega-Whiteside, F. Owusu, Thomas, Stewart, Tyler, Brandt-Sims, Foster), 23 percent of snaps to RBs (McCaffrey, Love, Scarlett, McFadden), 21 percent of snaps to TEs (Schultz, Taboada, Snyder), 10 percent of snaps to FBs (Marx, Williams, Harrell) - 313 snaps per game total

2017: 38 percent of snaps to WRs (Arcega-Whiteside, Irwin, Wedington, Stewart, Tyler, Brandt-Sims, Schwartz, S. Krishnamurthi), 34 percent of snaps to TEs (Schultz, Smith, Harrington, Parkinson), 20 percent of snaps to RBs (Love, Scarlett, Speights, Maddox), 9 percent of snaps to FBs (Marx, Williams, Snyder) [Note: PFF classified Parkinson as a WR but I reclassified for our purposes] - 301 snaps per game total

2018: 39 percent of snaps to WRs (Arcega-Whiteside, Irwin, Wilson, St. Brown, Wedington, Fehoko, Stewart, Schwartz, S. Krishnamurthi, Buzzell), 37 percent of snaps to TEs (Smith, Parkinson, Harrington, Fisk, McCombs), 21 percent of snaps to RBs (Love, Speights, Scarlett, Maddox, Woods, McFarlane), 3 percent of snaps to FBs (Williams, Heimuli, Snyder) - 324 snaps per game total

2019: 47 percent of snaps to WRs (Wilson, Wedington, Fehoko, St. Brown, Tremayne, Higgins, Stewart, Schwartz, Brandt-Sims), 30 percent of snaps to TEs (Parkinson, Fisk, Harrington, McCombs, Archer, Le), 20 percent of snaps to RBs (Scarlett, Jones, Maddox, Peat), 2 percent of snaps to FBs (Heimuli, Symonds) [Note: PFF classified Heimuli and Symonds as RBs but I reclassified for our purposes] - 342 snaps per game total

2020: 48 percent of snaps to WRs (Fehoko, Tremayne, Wilson, Higgins, Wedington, Humphreys, Farrell, St. Brown), 25 percent of snaps to TEs (Harrington, Fisk, Yurosek, Archer, McCombs), 21 percent of snaps to RBs (Jones, Peat, Woods, Smith, Filkins), 6 percent of snaps to FBs (Heimuli, Symonds) - 354 snaps per game total

2021: 46 percent of snaps to WRs (Higgins, Humphreys, Starr, Farrell, Tremayne, Wilson, Bowman, Raines), 27 percent of snaps to TEs (Yurosek, Archer, Fisk, Ungar), 22 percent of snaps to RBs (Jones, Peat, Smith, Filkins), 5 percent of snaps to FBs (Heimuli, Symonds, Taylor) - 296 snaps per game total

2022: 56 percent of snaps to WRs (Higgins, Tremayne, Humphreys, Wilson, Reuben, Starr, Bowman, Raines, Thompson, Farrell), 23 percent of snaps to TEs (Yurosek, Roush, Archer, Hawkins, Ungar), 19 percent of snaps to RBs (Filkins, Leigber, Robinson, Smith, Barrow, Harris), 3 percent of snaps to FBs (Taylor, Symonds, Lowe) - 353 snaps per game total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023: 51 percent of snaps to WRs (Ayomanor, Bachmeier, Farrell, Reuben, Raines, Humphreys, Harris, Starr, Cisse, Thompson, Kasemervisz), 27 percent of snaps to TEs (Roush, Yurosek, Taylor, Ungar), 22 percent of snaps to RBs (Smith, Filkins, Irvin, Butler, Hampton), 0 percent of snaps to FBs - 368 snaps per game total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition to the Stanford data, I'd like a point of comparison with Taylor's teams at Sacramento State. Here's that data (no names as I assume they won't be meaningful to folks here):

2019 (only seven games of data so not full sample but maybe meaningful): 54 percent of snaps to WRs, 25 percent of snaps to RBs, 22 percent of snaps to TEs, 0 percent of snaps to FBs - 377 snaps per game total

2020: No season

2021: 51 percent of snaps to WRs, 26 percent of snaps to RBs, 23 percent of snaps to TEs, 0 percent of snaps to FBs - 378 snaps per game total

2022: 51 percent of snaps to WRs, 26 percent of snaps to RBs, 23 percent of snaps to TEs, 0 percent of snaps to FBs - 403 snaps per game total

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll likely return to this periodically and won't share observations now other than to say Taylor's offenses at Sacramento State were so consistent in their usage that the big difference in RB/TE usage compared to Taylor's norm strikes me as significant. As I've said, I think he was surviving in pass protection and not playing with toys like he'd prefer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News