ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Recruiting notes (July 31 update)

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
I can provide a few updates:

-- First, the overall class size is a bit fluid at this point with Clark Yarbrough's retirement and possibly other factors as well that I'm not in a position to report on at the moment. Because of the timing of Yarbrough's decision my understanding is that the coaching staff hasn't had a chance, yet, to come together and discuss how this may affect 2018 recruiting.

-- Having said that I consider it more likely than ever in this 2018 cycle that there will be a second offensive lineman. I can't speak with certainty on that happening, though. But I'd feel comfortable making a bet.

I've thought for a while that Chris Murray is next in line on the board and, even though he didn't make it up to camp/junior day, I think that still holds true. He has some work to do, though. I have a few other linemen in mind to track down their interest. I wasn't able to speak to Trey Stratford before he committed to UCLA, but I think Stanford will continue talking to Trey for as long as he's willing to listen.

-- The linebacker situation is tough to track right now. My understanding is that the goal is still to take five linebackers (counting LDS Loa Kaufusi), but the exact breakdown of positions within that group is flexible. Caleb Kelly is the newest offer at OLB. Shayne Simon seems to be off the board or very close to being completely off it. Dallas Gant is committed to Ohio State and I am not aware of reasons for great optimism there. I have good reason to say that Cameron McGrone is pretty much off the board.

Dax Hollifield is a highly competitive recruitment, but academics aren't an issue and if he does in fact take an official visit to Stanford then I'd start to feel better about the odds.

I think that the situation is tougher now with Jack Lamb and Keshon Artis than it would have been a few months ago, but I believe they're still on the board regardless of their top lists of schools. Where exactly Lamb and Artis fit in the picture is hard to say other than I wouldn't be shocked if either or both had offers by August. I'll keep trying to find out more about them.

There has been some talk this summer that USC commit Bo Calvert is looking around and may visit Stanford. He could be a name to track but he has talked about going somewhere his 2019 brother Josh can follow. Josh Calvert is supposedly in line to be Oaks Christian's next starting quarterback, but I believe most of his college interest is on defense.

-- I know one theory on this forum is that Jay Symonds Jr. (a Pitt tight end commit from Cambridge, Mass.) already has an offer at fullback. I would be surprised if anyone gets an offer for this class at that position without camping.

Also, it's possible from what I've heard that a final decision hasn't been made about how to handle fullback in 2018. There are possibilities to consider on the current roster (such as is Sione Lund a fullback and maybe a current walk-on impresses) and there are other 2018 candidates in the running in addition to Symonds. For example, I know Jacob Doddridge impressed at Stanford's camp and is a top contender.

My current best guess of class breakdown for 2018:

QB (One with possibility of a walk-on and 2018/2020 LDS Tanner McKee): Jack West
RB (One): Justus Woods
FB (One): Jay Symonds or Jacob Doddridge
OL (Two): But which two is a bit up in the air at the moment. Keep the math in mind as Stanford sees it: They want at least three scholarship guys who can play each offensive line position and losing Yarbrough reasonably suggests they need to take one more lineman.
DL: (Two): I think there is a chance it's only two if Tyreke Smith joins Thomas Booker, who I have penciled into the class and I may soon use a pen. If not Smith then maybe the spot goes to the next best player available.
LB (Five): Loa Kaufusi will return from an LDS mission, Tobe Umerah is a solid commit and Dax Hollifield has Stanford in his top five. Beyond that I can't give a great guess of who is most likely to join the class. I'm working to get more information to be as confident as possible about where things stand with recruits such as Dallas Gant, Brandon Kaho (who is LDS so wouldn't solve 2018 question even if he's willing to consider Stanford to the same degree as a few months ago), Damone Clark and others who seem to be unlikely candidates.
DB (Three): I think of the current offers Kyler Gordon, Ethan Bonner and Taye Barber are the most likely in play. Maybe Tanner Ingle still is depending on how set he is with his commitment to Tennessee. Travian Blaylock's commitment to Wisconsin appears to be solid and the same goes for Bryson Richardson (UNC).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News