ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Recruiting notes Dec. 13

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Time to start a new thread. There isn't much in the breaking news category but I can refresh a few topics, including a brief rundown of how things stand with the "Best Guess" class.

Bold = commit
* = admitted

Quarterback:
Jack West *
Tanner McKee -- LDS expected to take two-year mission and as of last update working on application. He's a 4.2 GPA student who has visited Stanford five times -- games, camps and junior days -- and plans to attend Big Visit in January.

Running back

Justus Woods*

Fullback

Jay Symonds*

Wide receiver

Simi Fehoko* -- Expected to return from LDS mission and is a former Army All American.
Michael Wilson -- Having a great season at Chaminade (37 receptions for 776 yards and nine TDs) and barring injury will finish as the Eagles' leading receiver for the second straight season, and by wide margins both times. He has some work to do, though.
Third receiver committed elsewhere -- There isn't much more than hope that Amon-Ra St. Brown chooses Stanford. Right now I don't think there is an offer out to a wide receiver who I would predict to commit to be the third in the class.

Offensive line
Chris Murray -- I've liked Stanford's chances here from the moment they offered the Army All American Mater Dei guard. If admitted, Stanford is in a good spot.
Second OL committed elsewhere -- There are no stealth offers in play that I'm aware of and Stanford is not out of it with Nick Petit-Fere. I will try again to determine if Petit-Frere intends to visit Stanford. There are reasons to be optimistic if the Cardinal can get him on campus.

Defensive line
Thomas Booker* -- He's not a pass rushing demon but from what I've read and been told he has the ability to be a strong run stopper. That may not be an evaluation that launches a parade but at worst you've added quality depth at a position of need and a very impressive young man to the locker room.
Andres Fox -- In terms of skill set he is the yin to the yang of Booker. He is the pass rusher that Stanford needs and they could be great bookends to the line. (See what I did there?) Stanford is in a very good spot here but there is work to do.

Linebacker
Loa Kaufusi* -- Expected to return from LDS mission. Here is a reminder of why to be excited about him and also his senior season Hudl.
Tobe Umerah* -- Auburn is trying to flip Umerah but I really doubt there is anything to worry about. I have speculated about whether Umerah ends up as a defensive lineman, but that won't be where he starts his career. He has the skill set and build to be the 260-pound OLB that Stanford hasn't had for several seasons.
Jacob Mangum-Farrar -- A very good athlete who impressed at Stanford's July 28 FNL camp. He's raw with a lot of potential because he's only about halfway through his second season playing the position. He has some work to do off the field.
Dax Hollifield -- He's a very good student who as of my last update was close to finishing his application. I heard several weeks ago that he was likely to unofficially visit for the Cal game and take his official in January. That appears to be the plan now.
Caleb Kelly -- He is maybe more than a redshirt season away from being effective because of weight, but he has the skills to be an effective pass rusher. A good student and a black belt in karate, which I think should count for something.

Defensive backs
Kendall Williamson -- A 4.0 student and a physical player who was recruited to play any of the three defensive back positions. He was just offered by Auburn. His senior season Hudl was updated two days ago.
Ethan Bonner -- He suffered a knee injury in June. He's a better prospect than people think and I can share more about his story after signing day.
Donjae Logan -- A top student who performed well at Stanford's FNL camp.

There is a chance that there are four defensive backs in the class but from what I've heard it's a very small chance. It's much more likely that Williamson, Bonner and Logan are the DBs in the class.

Kyler Gordon and Bryson Richardson are effectively off the board. With Gordon there was more work to do and it didn't go Stanford's way. Richardson's story is more complicated and ultimately any frustration with when he was offered wasn't the most critical factor.

In other news:

As posted elsewhere, Stanford is on the board in 2019 with Colby Bowman of St. John Bosco. That's good news for a number of reasons, one of which is he is good friends with Chris Steele, the top 50 cornerback who recently surprised me by announcing a top five without Stanford. I don't think Stanford is out of it with Steele, but it's a reminder of how quickly things can change.

(Also, another 2019 St. John Bosco kid who I like and has interest is OLB Cole Aubrey. He doesn't have much of a profile, yet, but his production is very impressive. Here are some highlights: Midseason and vs. Orange Lutheran and vs. Santa Margarita.

The top 2019 defensive back target is borderline five star safety Brian Williams of Dunne, Texas. He wrote another blog for USA TODAY High School Sports.

I have been messaging a bit with 2019 Orange Lutheran quarterback Ryan Hilinski, the younger brother of Washington State's quarterback. Mike Bloomgren and David Shaw watched the OL vs. Mater Dei game Friday. Hilinski camped at Stanford in June and has been putting up impressive numbers this season. He updated his Hudl yesterday. I don't think anyone has become the leader for the next 2019 quarterback offer and in my opinion there is still plenty of time to evaluate options.

I've heard again from a source close to 2019 five star Kayvon Thibodeaux's recruitment that he is interested and doing a good job communicating with Stanford. He has been dominant this season at Oaks Christian and it's very important Stanford get him to visit to build on what I think is some surprising momentum.

I posted this elsewhere but I think there's a very good chance Sav'ell Smalls is the next 2020 offer. He's a great athlete with offers from Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oregon, USC and others. His visit to Stanford for the Oregon game was a success. Here is one Hudl video from about a month ago and one vs. O'Dea.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News