ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Recruiting notes 7.0 with class breakdown

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Stanford hasn't completely closed the book on 2018 recruiting given the offer to lacrosse star/football newcomer Ricky Miezan. But I think it's unlikely Stanford gets Miezan away from his commitment to North Carolina. So, in my opinion, it really is time to focus entirely on the 2019 class. With that being said, I'm able to provide a breakdown of the target size for the overall class and each position group.

Reference Dnburge's post with the list of offers.

Total: 24

One quarterback: I feel more confident than ever that Stanford will take a 2019 quarterback, but I'm still not sure when an offer may happen. I think Stanford is leaning toward taking a dual threat to break up the line of more traditional quarterback recruits. Prospects such as Grant Gunnell, Ryan Hilinski, Jacob Conover and others have been discussed on this forum. And there are some names I can't share at this time.

Two running backs: Stanford has four offers at the position and I can confirm that Eric Gray has one -- He joins Austin Jones, Kyren Williams and Quavaris Crouch. I don't consider Stanford in contention with Crouch. Jones is a very good student and Top 100 recruit who finally got the Stanford offer he -- and several people at Bishop O'Dowd -- really wanted to have. It will be very important to get Williams on campus to work on his parents, who reportedly favor Notre Dame. They have visited South Bend twice. I don't know much yet about Gray.

Five offensive linemen: It's not a surprise that Stanford wants a big group of offensive linemen. It's also clear there aren't enough offers out yet to get to five. Stanford technically has seven in play, but I consider Sean Rhyan to be a major longshot. I think the foundation of the group could come from Branson Bragg and Harry Miller, but there will definitely be more offers made throughout the spring.

Four wide receivers: Stanford's lone 2019 commit is receiver Colby Bowman. He's a tough athlete who is better than his modest production on the loaded St. John Bosco team may indicate. Four star Zion Puckett says all the right things to be a serious Stanford recruit and wants to visit. Elijah Higgins is "only" a three star but the Texan has all the state schools in pursuit. And he's an elite student with straight As and an AP/Honors heavy schedule. Isaiah Williams is the whale and is incredibly quiet about recruiting. There is some reason for optimism that he's willing to give Stanford a shot. TJ Sheffield has become a longshot and Jordan Whittington is not considering Stanford. So, if Stanford wants four they'll need more offers or maybe will take Jonathan McGill from the DB board.

One tight end: Hudson Henry is the top target and he'll visit this spring.

One defensive lineman: Stanford offered Nathan Pickering and the elite defensive tackle from Mississippi is a serious student. He wants to study mechanical engineering. He told me: "Stanford is a school I know can challenge me both on and off the field and push me to my full potential as well."

The offer to Pickering does not mean Stanford is out of contention with Hawaiian superstar Faatui Tuitele. Stanford still has a shot there, but Pickering was too good not to offer and seems to have sincere interest.

Stanford is keeping tabs on Howard Cross, Beau Robbins, Hunter Spears and others at the position. And a recruit committed elsewhere may be very much on the board. I like to get an Ok from such recruits before talking publicly about their interest.

Two OLB: This position group could be set up pretty well and has a high ceiling of potential. Stanford has been the favorite with Joshua Pakola for months. Michigan commit Stephen Herron recently gave an interview in which he said Stanford was one of the schools he's keeping an open mind about. I think Stanford has a real chance with the Kentucky four star. Jahmar Brown, Mataio Soli and Laiatu Latu are recent OLB offers and there seems to be early interest with each. Brown in particular told me he and he his family were very excited to get the offer. He is planning to visit.

Two ILB + LDS Levani Damuni: If Stanford is able to get Miezan then it becomes one ILB in addition to Damuni. I consider that unlikely enough that I'm projecting two for the 2019 class. Steele Chambers is the top candidate here and I think Stanford will need more offers to get two in this class.

Five defensive backs: Stanford has offered 17 defensive backs and I think more will be needed to reach five commits in the class, especially given the to be determined nature of McGill's position.

Stanford is in a good position with Joshua Sanguinetti, but he has some work to do. Louisiana five star Derek Stingley had a positive reaction to the Stanford offer and that jump-started the relationship. Chris Steele seems set on graduating early, but there is a Stanford ally close to his recruiting process and the door isn't completely closed. Max Williams, DJ Turner II (two visits), Jalen Catalon and Cam'Ron Kelly all show interest that I know about. But if Stanford gets five commits from the current uncommitted recruits with offers it would probably be the greatest DB class in school history, so it may not be best to bet on that happening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News