ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Recruiting Notes 33

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
The 2021 class is in the final chapter. Twelve scholarship recruits and one preferred walk-on have given verbal commits to Stanford and there only a few undecided recruits left on the board.

My current prediction is that Stanford will sign 16 true 2021 recruits and I think they have a real shot at all three LDS recruits — Kahanu Kia, Raider Damuni and John Henry Daley.

Chief Borders: After his transfer to Heard County he has been dominant against admittedly poor competition. Based on what I heard today I consider it much more likely that Stanford will be able to flip him from Florida.

Ese Dubre: He is following up a great junior season for a top team in Georgia with another really good season. His application was sent in last week and if that goes Dubre's way then I think he's a lock to Stanford. I linked the Hudl from his game against another top team, Marietta. I think Dubre will be a solid get and is someone who is a safe take with a high floor.

Drew Kendall: He and his dad recently did a self-guided tour of Stanford and it went well. This is my least confident prediction I'm going to make. It's entirely possible that after holding off making a decision because he wanted to see Stanford that he chooses Michigan or Boston College. I think he will surprise some folks back east and pick Stanford. I like him a lot as a prospect. I have not been able to confirm if he has been admitted.

Tyler Maro: The Iowan has been admitted and he really likes Stanford. Nebraska, Oregon, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Utah and Duke are also recruiting him. Nebraska wants him at defensive end and he seems fine with that, so that's potentially interesting. He will decide on a school at the end of his season and his team is in the playoffs now.

Stanford is still trying to flip Andrew Leingang. If he doesn't sign in December then that will be a public indicator that he hopes to be able to visit Stanford in January or February when hopefully the dead period is lifted. I think the odds are good Stanford will sign three quality offensive linemen.

Unfortunately for Stanford fans it's easy to see who is not on my predicted recruiting wins list. Aaron Armitage is not going to Stanford. I'm confident about that. As of now I don't expect Stanford to offer anyone else at defensive line in part because there's a realistic chance they flip Derek Wilkins from Cal. Depending on which recruiting service you look at that would be almost a straight up trade, but Stanford needs quantity and quality and would have happily taken both like a greedy kid trick or treating. If Stanford loses Armitage, and can't flip Wilkins, then there's no way to look at losing admitted recruits Armitage, Wilkins, Josh Moore and Owen Prentice as anything other than a backbreaking result for the class.

Fans could have felt much better about 2021 if those four recruits signed with the Cardinal. Instead, there are really will be only one need that was satisfactorily addressed when judged by the information we have now, defensive back. Stanford needed numbers and guys who could upgrade the safety position that has fallen into tough times. I think they did an adequate job but missed out on a home run.

If Kendall and Maro commit then there will be zero doubt about the strongest unit in the class and you can make the argument that the offensive line group was the best of each of the past three classes.

Another major factor in how fans will think about this class is how well Ari Patu plays in the spring. According to Folsom's Maxpreps their schedule is very difficult: Monterey Trail (beat Folsom in playoffs last year), Jesuit Carmichael, De La Salle and the tough league with Del Oro, Rocklin and Granite Bay. If Patu shines then that will feel good for coaches and fans alike.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News