ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Recruiting Notes 31

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Stanford's recruiting board is in state of constant evaluation and names are coming off and being added as the staff tries to adjust to the situation. The fact Stanford can't get kids on campus is a big problem, but from what I've heard I'd say that the testing situation has been the most problematic.

Stanford is still requiring SAT/ACT scores but no one has been able to take a test since shutdowns swept across the country. There are a number of recruits who need to improve their scores -- some significantly, meaning they need multiple retakes -- and the coaches are telling recruits to stay patient and try to get a test as soon as possible. The June 6 SAT was cancelled. The June 13 ACT has not been cancelled yet.

My sources don't think there has been a recruit who moved on from Stanford solely because of test scores, but it has been a factor. It was likely a factor with Julien Simon, for example, and USC recruited him really well to play linebacker.

Now, about the 2021 recruiting board, there are three position groups I can provide some more information about.

Defensive Line: Colin Mobley is about to be officially off the board. Derek Wilkins does seem to be straying to Cal despite being an almost perfect admissions candidate and he has visited three times. I haven't locked down why Cal has pulled ahead but I think the simplest guess is that his relationship with that staff and several members of the class is winning him over.

If level of interest was the only requirement for a commitment I'd feel confident predicting Aaron Armitage and Keanu Williams in the class. But both have work to do and it's enough that I think Williams is a long shot.

So, clearly Stanford needs more defensive line offers to counter disappointing developments at the position that once inspired a lot of excitement.

Linebacker: James Jackson is the only linebacker offer I feel optimistic about for Stanford. West Virginia and Air Force have offered since Stanford and at this point there has to be some trust in the evaluation of Eric Sanders without any new football film to evaluate this spring.

Quintin Somerville also has work to do and may commit to Michigan rather than wait. He would prefer to commit in June which would mean no test retake. Dallas Turner communicates well with Stanford but I don't see him leaving his region.

Anderson likes Chaz Chambliss a lot and he's probably the next man up at outside backer. The problem there is he has some reservations about going to school far from home.

Locals Will Schweitzer (OLB) and Kaleb Elarms-Orr (ILB) seem to be lower on the board than the group who would be looked at next. I hear Tyler McLaurin is still a possibility to get an offer even though he committed to Michigan.

Defensive back: First a correction: Jimmy Wyrick's position should be considered S/CB in that order. Stanford is targeting four defensive backs in the class and they might all be safeties. It's even possible they take a fifth guy, although that seems unlikely.

Chad Simmons has reported Stanford is the favorite to land Josh Moore out of Marist, Georgia and that is the sense on the Stanford side of things as well. I think he'd be a really good get. Kaleb Edwards needs to be convinced not to graduate early before we really know if Stanford has a chance.

Stanford is still a contender for Jaden Slocum. He's working on the application and communicates well with Stanford. There was a time I heard that how he was communicating with Stanford -- delay in responses, the type of questions he was asking -- didn't make Stanford optimistic. That has improved lately.

Mitch Leigber also is still on the board along with new offer Caleb Ellis. I think Ceyair Wright is a longshot because of interest level. I think there are five realistic options on the board for three spots: Slocum, Moore, Ellis, Edwards and Leigber. If Moore commits then there are two spots left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News