ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Recruiting Notes 19.0

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
It's time for a new thread. I'm working on gathering information on a number of topics. There should be a lot more to report in February, because the coaches have been on the road most of the past three weeks and the recruiting board may change a lot when they put together all their information. I've been messaging recruits about which coaches have been by their school.

The first junior day is March 1 and 2. Chad Lindberg told me he'll be at Stanford Feb. 28-March 3, so he's giving himself some more time to experience everything. That's important for Stanford and even more so after losing Jake Majors to Texas. If Stanford doesn't wow Lindberg on the visit he's probably a lock for Texas. It's going to get tougher again to get the Texas kids because there's a growing belief "Texas is back". Stanford is getting help with the Lindbergs from its top Texas recruiter, Sara Little. Lindberg said his mom and Sara talk and are developing a friendship.

I assumed this was the case, but a source recently told me Stanford will take at least four offensive linemen and the target will probably be five again. Myles Hinton is a fantastic start. When the coaches come back from evaluations I expect another offer or two.

EDIT: Just after I posted this thread Geirean Hatchett let me know that Pritchard visited last week. David Shaw and Tavita Pritchard are expected on Monday and apparently Kevin Carberry is trying to join them. That's an impressive showing for any school.

The top candidates currently appear to be: Zak Zinter, Peter Skoronski and Olu Fashanu. That's not a surprising list for avid followers of Twitter clues. Stanford also is keeping track of recruits such as Cade Bennett (Notre Dame Prep, AZ) and Drake Metcalf. The list of possible offerees will almost certainly grow but that's a starting point.

Zinter is one of, if not the, most enthusiastic about Stanford among the recruits without an offer. He frequently communicates with Carberry and several coaches have been by his school. He told me Carberry plans to come by in the spring to watch him practice, so that may indicate Stanford thinks they can wait a little longer. Zinter said he won't visit again without an offer, which is a fair requirement.

Pritchard just visited Fashanu's high school, Gonzaga in Washington D.C. He also followed on Twitter their highly touted 2021 quarterback, Caleb Williams. Pritchard is focusing on finding 2021 quarterbacks and this summer is the last chance to get the highly touted kids to camp because it's increasingly difficult to get them on campus the summer before their senior year. In fact, from now on it should be a rule to plan for them not to attend that summer.

I expect Stanford to aim for at least three defensive backs and I'm a little surprised by the recent effort to send coaches to connect with safety Darius Snow. Not only did Lance Anderson visit his school, but Duane Akina and Bobby Kennedy also visited and watched him play basketball. Most people expect Snow to go to Texas or Michigan State, where his dad played basketball. But at least Stanford is putting up a fight. Snow is a good fit on and off the field.

And as I was typing this post I got a message from offered cornerback Ethan Pouncey that Shaw and Morgan Turner (area recruiter) came by his school yesterday.

Pouncey said about seeing Shaw on campus: "It was unreal. The Stanford head coach came to see me." IT MATTERS A LOT to know the head coach is part of your recruiting process. Pouncey has been offered by Virginia, West Virginia, Auburn and Florida State since Stanford offered.

Akina and Anderson visited Utah safety Nate Ritchie separately. I'll add more about the DBs as I get responses.

Stanford will probably want three receivers and two tight ends in 2020. Wide receiver Bryce Farrell is already committed and Stanford is a strong favorite to get John Humphreys. Shaw recently watched him play basketball. Stanford isn't taking it for granted they will get Humphreys, who they and many others think will be an elite player. Stanford has checked in on Silas Starr and he's my current bet as the third member of that position group. Starr has already visited Stanford several times.

Turner and Pritchard watched Lukas Ungar play basketball last week. I'm not sure Ungar will visit again and Stanford may not need him to. But I think it would be better to get him back because his offer list has become elite. I think Stanford has a good shot with Ungar, who badly wanted that offer.

Benjamin Yurosek has already visited Stanford and will likely attend an upcoming junior day. I haven't heard back from him yet, though.

Speaking of Valley prospects. Shaw also visited Xavier Carlton's school. Carlton has an elite national offer list that outstrips his Rivals rating. He has become a priority for Stanford.

I also heard from Kalel Mullings that he plans to visit Stanford either for the first junior day (March 1 and 2) or after spring break at the end of March. He's working with his school's academic advisor about what's best for his schedule.

I'll add to this thread as I hear back more from recruits about plans to visit and which coaches went to their schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News