ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Recruiting Notes 16.0

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Let's start a new Recruiting Notes thread with a focus on the new 2019 offers.

Last week Stanford offered Bradley Archer, Ryan Hilinski and Austin Stogner. Here's what I know about those offers:

First, it's probably not a surprise that to varying degrees all three have "work to do" and part of that is due to the timing of the offers. Hilinski and Stogner are making changes to their course schedules to meet Stanford's requirements. Obviously if Stanford made the decision to offer Hilinski and Stogner even a couple months ago then the road is a much easier one, but time machines don't exist and what's important now is the eagerness of the recruits do the work.

Stanford's decision to offer two tight ends is a departure from the more than year-long plan to only target Hudson Henry. The "all-in" strategy come up short and Archer was second on Stanford's board at that tight end position.

There are still reasons to be optimistic about Elijah Higgins and Cornelius Johnson -- and Stanford may still offer Zach Larrier -- but when you factor in uncertainty about that board with the strong possibility Kaden Smith is gone after this season, there is room for a second tight end in the class.

Hilinski is on track to graduate early. But Hilinski told me he's leaning toward postponing signing with a school until February. That's a strong indicator of his interest and desire to make Stanford possible, but we'll see how things go between now and December.

I heard from a source close to Stogner's recruitment that it will be tough for him to flip from Oklahoma. Like Hilinski, he has a great relationship with the staff of his committed school and he has spent more than a year as a Sooner pledge. But what Stanford has to offer for a tight end is understandably very appealing to Stogner. I expect him to seriously consider the offer and do the work to make switching his commitment possible.

Archer is probably the most likely win for the Cardinal of these three offers. He's a better prospect than his three star rating suggests. He's a smooth, natural pass catcher and is a good enough athlete to pick up yards after the catch.

Stogner is a big guy (6-7) and I've heard some recruiting analysts think he could grow into an offensive tackle. I doubt Stanford projects him to do that but it's an example of why it's good to recruit big athletes because they can help in a number of ways. He hasn't been described as the same level of natural pass catcher as Archer, but Stogner's physicality can bring a lot to a tight end room.

I'd put Archer in a best guess class but not Stogner or Hilinski. I think there is justified optimism that Stanford can change that with Hilinski and Stogner, but it's a tough hill to climb because of the work to do. If it reaches the point that Hilinski and/or Stogner apply then things get interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News