ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Post-Spring Transfer QB Options

Card Tricks

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 24, 2012
Came across this article the other day and it got me thinking about our remaining transfer QB options after whiffing on the first wave in January. They predict that we ultimately end up with Tyler Buchner, which is neither the craziest prediction nor the worst option out there. But I thought I'd use this thread to take a quick look at what our post-Spring transfer QB big board might look like:

Jaxson Dart
Class: JR.
Eligibility: 2 years
School: Ole Miss
Experience: 15 Starts
Stats: 4,327 YDs / 29 TDs / 16 INTs_+_657 YDs Rushing
Academic Offers (High School): Dartmouth + Harvard + Penn + Yale
247 Composite Grade (High School): 0.9693

Ben Gulbranson
Class: R-JR.
Eligibility: 3 years
School: Oregon State
Experience: 9 Starts
Stats: 1,519 YDs / 9 TDs / 5 INTs
Academic Offers (High School): Cal
247 Composite Grade (High School): 0.8635

Ty Thompson
Class: R-SO.
School: Oregon
Experience: 0 Starts
Stats: 159 YDs / 2 TDs / 3 INTs
Academic Offers (High School): Cal + Duke + Stanford
247 Composite Grade (High School): 0.9809

Tyler Buchner
School: Notre Dame
Experience: 3 Starts
Stats: 949 YDs / 6 TDs / 8 INTs_+_459 YDs Rushing
Academic Offers (High School): Columbia + Penn + Yale + Notre Dame + Stanford
247 Composite Grade (High School): 0.9684

Miller Moss
School: USC
Stats: 233 YDs / 2 TDs / 0 INTs
Academic Offers (High School): Harvard + Yale + Cal + Northwestern
247 Composite Grade (High School): 0.9663

Devin Brown
Class: R-FR.
Eligibility: 4 years
School: Ohio State
Stats: N/A
Academic Offers (High School): Cal + Northwestern + Notre Dame + Stanford
247 Composite Grade (High School): 0.9808

Brady Allen
School: Purdue
Academic Offers (High School): N/A
247 Composite Grade (High School): 0.9306

Katin Houser
School: Michigan State
Academic Offers (High School): Yale + Stanford + Cal
247 Composite Grade (High School): 0.9170

To the best of my knowledge, the only QBs from that list that received a Stanford offer out of high school were Tyler Buchner, Ty Thompson, Devin Brown, and Katin Houser. With the exception of Gulbranson and Houser, all of the other guys play for blue blood programs. Meaning Coach Taylor is going to have some stiff competition on the transfer market. Granted, none of these guys are currently in the portal so this is all just speculation at this point. But each guy featured above faces a stiff QB competition this Spring and may be looking for an exit plan depending on the outcome of those competitions.

Jaxson Dart is without question the name that intrigues me the most on this list. He's a 2-year starter with tons of experience, solid production as a starter, and the most Ivy League offers out of high school. He was even named to the Chancellor's Honor Roll list last Spring at USC (for whatever that's worth). He's the incumbent starter at Ole Miss so including his name on this list is somewhat of a long shot. Nevertheless, with Spencer Sanders transferring to Ole Miss (after throwing for 9,000+ YDs and 70+ TDs at Oklahoma State), he faces one of the toughest challenges of any of these guys to emerge as QB1 this Spring. Even if he does enter the portal, his eyes would likely drift towards a contender that would help him elevate his draft status. And seeing as how we're in total rebuild mode, that's definitely not us right now.

My hunch tells me Troy Taylor isn't necessarily looking for a proven veteran (although it would certainly be nice) but rather a talented young signal-caller to provide competition for Patu, Daniels, and Jackson. Someone he can build the offense around and develop over the next 2-3 seasons. Based on that information, my guess is guys like Buchner and Moss would be the betting favorites in the event that they entered the portal this Spring. Each one of them offers a great deal of promise as they were both highly rated 4-stars coming out of high school. I'm sure all the OFFER MILLER MOSS NOW fanboys have their own preferences when it comes to who we should target but the reality is that any one of these guys would be a great addition to the QB room, regardless of whether they go on to become QB1 or not.

_

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News