ADVERTISEMENT

Opening game line moving in Hawaii's direction

msqueri

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2006
I was startled by the initial line and am even more startled that it's moved a few points against us, now having us favored by only 7 points. Last year's David Shaw crappy, demoralized, joyless, bad QB play, zero running backs by the end of the season, hapless defense with overmatched linemen 2022 abomination of a team would have been favored by 11.46 against last year's Hawaii team on the road. Even factoring in that Hawaii may be more of a home field advantage than most that would still mean that Vegas likes our chances significantly less than the demoralized version of Stanford football. That probably owes to all of our attrition, but still I find it surprising. The final SP+ preseason rankings for 2023 have Hawaii #120 in FBS and Stanford #92, with Hawaii expected to be bad at everything (in contrast Stanford is expected to be approaching mediocre on defense and downright good on special teams). Hawaii's defense returns a fair (though not standout) amount of its 2022 production. All in all, I am pretty startled by only being favored by 7 against Hawaii. I hope Taylor gets out of the gate with a nice statement. Conversely, I do think we have to be at least a bit nervous about this one. A seven point line equates to a 29.7 percent chance we lose. Extremely real possibility.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News