ADVERTISEMENT

Names for new basketball coach

TerpCard

All Pac-12
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2001
I will caveat this by saying I know Eric Reveno and he would be my first choice. I think he has done a great job at Portland if you understand the situation. But, that would require an AD who has courage to take a risk and I am not sure if we have one. I understand the reasons why others in the previous thread would object to Eric, but it is my firm belief that he would be the best coach here.

Having said that, if we are going to look at mid-major coaches who have demonstrated success at their current job and did so without cheating. Here are the names that I would consider. The two best mid-major coaches are Gregg Marshall from Wichita St and Mark Few from Gonzaga. I doubt we could get them, but I would call them. The next list is presented in no particular order, but are guys that I would get to know and explore.

Steve Pikiell – Stony Brook. Late 40’s, done a lot with a little there in eleven years including four regular season championships and an NCAA birth. Played at UConn. Assistant at Yale for a few years.

Randy Rahe – Weber St. Mid ‘50s, maybe too old, but in ten years at Weber St. he has won five conference titles and two NCAA appearances. Longtime Stew Morrill assistant which I think is a plus.

Pat Kelsey – Winthrop – Early 40’s. Skip Prosser guy, played for him at Xavier and served as an assistant for him and Chris Mack there as well as at Wake for Prosser. Won the regular season for his conference this year.

Russell Turner – Irvine – I think people know why.

Eran Ganot – Hawaii – Pay attention here. If Montgomery gets involved in advising the search, this could be how he suggests. John Montgomery is an assistant here.

King Rice – Monmouth – had a drinking problem which could be an issue, but love how is teams play. Had a great year and with his UNC background will probably move up this cycle.

Brad Underwood – Stephen F. Austin – just killed it the last few years.

Scott Nagy – S. Dakota St – been there twenty years, had success at the Div 2 level. Took them to Division 1 and has gotten to the NCAA tourney twice.

Other notes. Randy Bennett cheats, so I don’t want him. Bryce Drew from Valpo fits the mold, but his brother cheats at Baylor so I am not sure if he does. But Matt Lottich is an assistant and I respect him, so maybe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News