ADVERTISEMENT

MBB & WBB recruiting notes: May

BenParker

Publisher
Staff
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
stanford.rivals.com
Alright, here is the hoops recruiting notes thread for May. The April thread is here.

The big thing to watch for right now is who Stanford (both men's and women's basketball) pulls in via the transfer portal. Both teams do have space to add bodies. The men's team seeing a wave of guys grad transfer out plus Noah Taitz, who left for LMU. The women's team seeing Jana Van Gytenbeek transfer out. The mens' team is more in need of adding somebody than the women's team, obviously. Though that isn't to say the women's team won't take a transfer if the right fit presents itself. I feel like with the women's team a graduate transfer is much more likely if they are to add anyone just because that gives them room to add another talented freshman in the next recruiting cycle. As for the men's team, I think it's much more about who they can get undergrad or graduate. Graduate transfers should be easier to get since there isn't an issue of transferring credits over and figuring out how to match certain credits with Stanford courses. Especially considering Stanford has a fairly unique set of curriculum. That's what makes it harder for them to take in undergrad transfers.

So for both teams, if they do add a transfer, I think it'll be more likely it's a grad transfer. But we'll just have to wait and see who they get if anybody. The main transfer target on the men's side has been Mike Jones, grad transfer guard from Davidson. Stats are here. We know he visited campus a little while back and still hasn't made a decision yet. I'm kinda feeling that's their best shot and the longer he waits, the more it could be coming down to an admissions thing. Just getting everything sorted out there. I've made efforts to contact Mike. Haven't heard back. I'll try again. But regardless, I feel like he's the guy they are really zeroing in on.

And then of course, there's also the big question of what Harrison Ingram will do. Monday, June 13th is the early entry withdrawal deadline for the NBA Draft. Latest I heard, it was a deal where he hadn't made a final decision yet and might decide to come back to school in the end. NBADraft.net's latest mock draft doesn't have Ingram getting picked at all. So, I'm guessing that means they think there's a chance he comes back to school. I know the guy who runs the site, so I might ask him why. But it might make sense to leave him out of a mock until you are sure he's staying. Especially since if he stays, he could go anywhere from late first round to the middle of the second round. He's hard to peg. Ingram coming back is really the biggest thing to watch for and we likely won't know until June, but maybe he'll surprise us and announce his withdrawal by the end of this month.

As far as the rest of the recruiting picture is concerned, nothing has really changed from the April thread. Just copying and pasting what I posted:

"For 2023, Finley Bizjack, Wesley Yates, Mitchell Holmes, Cade Phillips, and Keanu Dawes remain in play. 4-star small forward Andrej Stojakovic out of Jesuit in the Sacramento area is the latest men's basketball offer. Those are the main names, though the staff has offered others as well, so it's not an exhaustive list. 5-star point guard Kanaan Carlyle is the lone commit for 2023 and 5-star small forward Liam McNeeley is the lone 2024 offer.

On the women's basketball side, Juju Watkins, Amanda Muse, and Delaney Thomas are key targets right now. All still in play. Sammie Wagner is off the board committing to Texas. The latest offer the women have put out is 2024 guard Morgan Cheli out of of Mitty. Same program that Haley Jones balled at. Courtney Ogden and Nunu Agara are the two 2023 commits."

So that's basically where things stands on the hoops side. One quick clerical note: 2023 4-star small forward Akil Watson does not have an offer from Stanford. Someone in our network added Stanford to his list, but I checked and he doesn't have an offer from Stanford. So for anyone that was wondering about him, that's the deal. Staff not even on him from what I gathered. I of course removed Stanford from his list of offers.

Reactions: MVDan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News