ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Recruiting MBB recruiting notes: September

BenParker

Publisher
Staff
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
stanford.rivals.com
Alright, here is the men's basketball recruiting notes thread for September. The August thread is here.

As things stand, 5-star point guard Kanaan Carlyle is the lone commit for Stanford in the 2023 class. He actually fell a bit in the latest Rivals 150 rankings, as he is now the 5th best point guard in the 2023 class and the 19th best player overall. Still not bad at all.

Stanford has made the final lists for two key wings in 2023: 5-star shooting guard Wesley Yates and 4-star small forward Andrej Stojakovic. Conventional wisdom is Stojakovic is heading to UCLA as a good friend of his dad's from Serbia is on the staff. That said, the longer he stretches his recruitment, the better for Stanford and other schools. Maybe the academics of Stanford will win out, but it does look like UCLA has the edge at the moment. As for Yates, despite some recent FutureCasts in for Texas, unless he's going to pop real soon for the Longhorns, I feel like Stanford has a chance. He's got relationships with Harrison Ingram and Kanaan Carlyle, so that could bode well for Stanford. But, it's important to be aware of the fact that Texas appears to be the front runners at this time.

3-star center Carter Lang has an official visit set up for September 23rd with a decision to come in October. He's down to Stanford and Vanderbilt. I think between those two, he'll choose Stanford. I got my Future Cast in for him already. So he's likely the next kid to pop for Stanford in the 2023 class.

Outside of those guys, there's no one else on the offers list who appears to be in play at this time. Maybe Stanford can find someone overseas. They've done it before. So that could be a possibility as well. Or maybe another grad transfer.

With 2024, Trent Perry is a key target. The staff is really high on him and he visited in August. Key quotes from my interview him are here. He's got a pretty small offers list at the moment, but I would expect that to grow. Don't let his lack of star rating fool you, they think he's got a chance to be good.

4-star small forward Liam McNeeley is a target who I need to check in on. I believe he was the first guy they offered in 2024. He remains a major name to keep an eye on.

5-star center Yves Missi out of Prolific Prep is a major target as well. Given how close he is to Stanford playing in Napa, that should help their chances, though Prolific Prep guys often seek to go to more traditional basketball powerhouse programs. That's kinda their thing.

And then one more name to keep an eye on is 4-star shooting guard Sir Mohammed. He's got a junior official visit date set for October 8th, the weekend football hosts Oregon.

Nobody on the 2024 offers list I would scratch off except for Jason Asemota, who verbally committed to Baylor. He seems pretty set on that decision, but he did have Stanford in his top eight, so that showed at least some interest I suppose.

So that is to say if I didn't mention a guy, it's only because I can't run through everyone and I wanted to highlight the key names that are popping out as of right now.

And then if you are curious about 2025, Stanford has offered three guys already in that cycle: 5-star small forward Bryson Tiller, 5-star small forward Koa Peat, and non-rated small forward Nikolas Khamenia.

Note: As with football recruits, I'll be messaging guys about visits as well. Same drill there. Visits tracked in the thread sticked at the top.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News