ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Recruiting MBB recruiting notes: January

BenParker

Publisher
Staff
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
stanford.rivals.com
Alrighty, here is the men's basketball recruiting notes thread for January. The December thread is here.

The most fresh news on the recruiting front is Yves Missi choosing Baylor over Stanford and one other school that was in his top three (I believe it was Texas). 2024 5-star center who might reclassify to the 2023 class. He did visit Stanford, but down the stretch of his recruitment, it was pretty clear Stanford was going to be on the outside looking in. They felt that way in November and nothing changed in the final days before his decision. He would have been a really nice get, but alas, they didn't land him.

Not a whole lot has changed since the December notes thread, so feel free to re-skim that for who the key targets are right now. I don't wanna just re-hash it on here if it's only one month back.

I will say, the elephant in the room right now with Stanford men's basketball recruiting (well, not an elephant in the room on this board), is how much the incoming class of Carlyle and Stojakovic lengthens the leash for Jerod Haase if it does at all. I've already made it known that if a change happens at the end of the season without an NIT appearance happening, I'll totally understand. And I'm not going to now spring into any sort of defense of Haase. It's year seven, the dude should have an NCAA tournament level team by now. And there is good reason to believe that even with Carlyle and Stojakovic added next season, Stanford still won't be a tournament team in 2024. So, there's plenty of grounds for a change.

That all said, it's not my decision to make. It comes down to what Bernard Muir wants to do and what kind of pressure he gets from donors to make a change. I don't know what's going on in his mind and I don't know what kind of pressure he's getting from donors or what kind of pressure he will get from donors at season's end. That's going to be what drives this decision and at the heart of the conversations will likely be something along the lines of whether or not Jerod deserves a chance to coach his best recruiting class ever that also features the much-needed point guard he says he's always needed. So, it's going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out for Haase considering the results have been really underwhelming up to this point, but the incoming class is quite excellent and does seem to have the potential to fix a couple of major issues of this year's team: Point guard play and consistent shooting.

Lastly, on this note, as I've said before, it really does feel like Carlyle is coming regardless of who the coach is. Just because his parents have moved out here and seems to really like the idea of being a Stanford guy. Stojakovic, I think is more likely to ask out of his NLI, but given the academics at Stanford and its proximity to home, he very well may stay as well. Especially if Carlyle is indeed as solid as I believe he is. I think this would likely be a case where you'd have to wait and see who the coach is.

So, that's it for this month's breakdown. Not really a whole lot has changed over the last month, but unless Haase and co. right this ship starting this weekend at Cal, Bernard Muir is going to have some decisions to make.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News