ADVERTISEMENT

Football Lance Anderson on injuries, Tucker Fisk and official visit requirements

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
I had a conversation recently with Lance Anderson and we talked about how spring practices are going, the reps Tucker Fisk is getting at defensive line and the impact of official visits and the academic standards required for them.

It’s hard to tell where we are on defense because we’re still fighting through a lot of injuries. Guys are working their way back. By the time we get to the fall I think we will have a full roster. Like talent at each position if they’re healthy and we can get reps in camp.

To hear Anderson describe it this spring has been very short on significant new information about the defense because of how many guys are out or are working their way to full participation. It seems Stanford is being even more tight lipped than usual (which is vise-like anyway) and I didn't learn about any specific guys who are out. Although, he did suggest that Loa Kaufusi and Ricky Miezan have been active in all the practices.

“I look forward to the day when we get everybody back," he said.

The injury situation was a perfect transition to a conversation about Tucker Fisk and whether he was only playing defensive line because of injuries. The answer was a bit yes, but it seems mostly no. It was clear to me that Anderson really wants Fisk to get reps on defense in games this season.

“It reminds me a little bit of the Owen Marecic situation where Tucker has been on offense for a long time and he knows exactly what to do. He’s really good at the things he does on that side. He saw an opportunity to help the team and maybe do a little bit more. The days he’s been over there … he has looked really good there.

“He has an important role on offense and I don’t think we would completely move him over, but I think it could be something like Owen Marecic where he plays on both sides. It’s too early to know for sure. He’s a talented kid and I think he’s a great fit for the D-line. I’m very pleased so far and I’m excited about it.”

The Fisk to defensive line move has been discussed many times on this forum and out in the "real world" among Cardinal fans who wonder if he could be a more impactful player at that position. I think the defensive coaches have always thought he could do well on their side of the ball but he was a tight end first. If he can play a positive role on defense this season that will be a bittersweet, if-only victory, in my opinion.

Stanford's academic standards for qualifying for a June official visit is that the kid's senior schedule has to be set with AP courses and the university says he's good to go to get an application.

“I’m very encouraged (about the official visits) and I think we’re going to get a lot of our top guys here this summer and give them a chance to see Stanford. I think that will be great. They need to do some academic things before they visit and the response to that has been great. I’m really looking forward to seeing how these June visits work out for us.”

“So far (the reaction to the academic requirements) has been more positive than negative. It has motivated kids to go see a counselor and get their schedule worked out and get an application. They’re logging into the app and working on it. There have been a few kids who have yet to do what we asked but it’s a little early to decide if that means they’re not interested or are they still working on some of these things.

“Sometimes it’s their perceived ability to do what we’re asking them to do (that stops them from trying) and they don’t want to admit that. Occasionally a kid will say, ‘Coach, this is too much and I don’t think I can do this’. Generally kids have a hard time saying that.”

There have been times a coach and people close to the recruit have been able to buck up a kid’s confidence to give it a go. Anderson also shared that he had a couple conversations with recruits just last week about concerns they had about their grades before finals and they had doubts about handling AP classes next year.

Anderson recently thought of Austin Hooper and about how it was a hard process for him to get into Stanford. He had not taken AP classes and De La Salle was not supportive of him taking AP courses. He questioned whether he could get it done. Stanford coaches had a couple conversations with him about trying and there were a few people close to him who supported him, too.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News