ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Football recruiting notes: June

BenParker

Publisher
Staff
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
stanford.rivals.com
Alrighty, here is the football recruiting notes thread for the month of June. Click here to check out the May recruiting notes thread if you missed any of the news in there. The big thing happening this month is June official visits. In the middle of May, I provided an update of how things are shaping up on that front. Click here to read that if you missed it.

Some additional visits were added to the May thread since that article was published. Later on this month, I'll write another article that provides an update with more visits added. So that will have all the visitors listed in one spot. Until that gets published, just look through the May recruiting notes to refresh your memory if needed. Most visitors are in the June 23-26 window.

Obviously, one of the key things to look for right now is how things shake out on the quarterback front. Two 4-star quarterbacks are visiting this month: Dylan Lonergan during the June 23-26 window and Austin Novosad (Baylor commit) this weekend. As I've said, I think Stanford is feeling 50/50 at best with their chances at Lonergan. That's why they're seeing how interested Novosad is. Lonergan is the guy they want, but the recognize South Carolina has a real pull there and will be tough to overcome. The baseball part really needs to deliver as much as the football side. So, if Novosad looks like a real possibility to flip, that'll take a lot of pressure off. They are determined to land a 4-star level talent at quarterback in this class.

May also saw a commitment from 4-star cornerback Jshawn Frausto-Ramos. I've finished my interview with him. Just gotta get the quotes up, so I'll get that up later tonight. I should note that he told me today that he committed as soon as he was offered. He just had to wait 10 days to get his video created and make that look good. So, no hesitation from him whatsoever as soon as the offer came. He's all in.

As far as guys who Stanford appears to be sitting in a good spot with, I feel like they have good odds with 3-star offensive tackle Luke Baklenko and 4-star tight end Walker Lyons. I got Future Casts in for both guys. Others who I think Stanford has good odds with but I haven't put in Future Casts in for are 3-star offensive guard Simione Pale, 3-star offensive tackle Zak Yamauchi, 4-star defensive end Enow Etta, 3-star safety Brock Fonoimoana, 3-star defensive end Drake Carlson, 3-star cornerback Smith Snowden, and newly offered linebacker Tre Williams. There are some guys who are taking officials this month or just visited that I didn't mention in that group (E.g. 3-star cornerback Micah Bell and 4-star athlete Jacobe Johnson). I need to get a better feel for those guys, but Stanford certainly still in the mix. Same with guys like 4-star defensive end Trey Wilson, 4-star linebacker Leviticus Su'a, 4-star cornerback Jordan Matthews (official visit in June), and newly offered linebacker Liona Lefau, who is teammates with Brock Fonoimoana.

Lastly, three guys who have put Stanford on top lists that I want to quickly address: 4-star cornerback Caleb Presley, 3-star defensive end Grant Buckey, and 3-star defensive end Hunter Clegg. Presley, the thing to watch for is whether or not he'll get out on a visit. If he does, I'll feel better Stanford's chances. They still feel like a bit of a long shot, but obviously encouraging they made his list. Buckey, his lack of responsiveness to me is a bit concerning, but he did include Stanford in his top ten, so maybe there's some hope. I'll keep trying with him and see if he'll hit me back. He's usually been really quick to respond, hence my concern. As with Clegg, Utah appears to be the slight front runner because they're close to home and his brother is on the team, but I think Stanford has a real shot here. I don't think it's a slam dunk he's going to Utah. Stanford definitely has a chance here. Just gotta make a strong impression on the official visit.

As for the 2024 class, too early to really make predictions on anyone. One guy to keep an eye on is 3-star quarterback Austin Mack out of Folsom High School in Folsom, CA. An offer will be coming his way, I think. The only question is when.

And then, June camps are happening this month at Stanford. Click here to check out the dates of those.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News