ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Football recruiting notes: February

Per @PeteThamel of ESPN on X account
UPDATE: NCAA football officials meeting in Indianapolis this week to discuss calendar change for Signing Day. Here's what they are proposing -- three signing periods: Last Wednesday in June, the Wednesday following the regular season and first Wednesday in February.[/URL]

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of logos. Have they always been this way? Looks like a NASCAR car.

Good thing I can’t see the El Pollo Loco patch.

Reactions: Starbase27
Per @PeteThamel of ESPN on X account
UPDATE: NCAA football officials meeting in Indianapolis this week to discuss calendar change for Signing Day. Here's what they are proposing -- three signing periods: Last Wednesday in June, the Wednesday following the regular season and first Wednesday in February.[/URL]
Is last Wednesday in June for graduating seniors or rising seniors? Rationale?

Thats all there is to Thamels tweet. I am not sure about the June date. The idea to change the dates is to take the load off of coaching staff during Bowl, CFP Prep. At least that is what I heard.

Last edited:
NQR -- many of Voldemort's recruiting practices (or lack thereof) were questionable. it seemed as if he was much more comfortable say at a Sidwell Friends than a Dunbar in DC. did he ever recruit Compton post-Sherman? I recall threads on this site that he became mute on supporting Sherman and his position change under Harbs.
He told me to my face that he “couldn’t “ recruit my high school. Lost all respect for him at that point.

Um..is there enough room on the jersey to fit a multiple hyphen name?
5c8f8f5f688b4.jpg

Are you referring to his… Nigerian heritage? I’ve heard somewhere that Nigerian families put a strong emphasis on academics.
heard that too...so I was told by Sylvester Okereke, a classmate of mine at MIT... and more recently by Mama Babatunde while on the rail back during Buddy's time

both smart people

Reactions: rawbbbbbb
He told me to my face that he “couldn’t “ recruit my high school. Lost all respect for him at that point.
on positive note, at least he was honest about it with you. the no Spring visits stance and the unwillingness to leverage the total available official visits seemed to hit hardest the families that can least afford to travel to kiss the V's ring and see if he deigns them as possible "Stanford men" and receive an offer. I'd think these families would be of higher priority, not lower priority.

Yes, so unfortunate for Stanford football to recruit rich, privileged white kids like Christian McCaffrey and Andrew Luck! 🤪
But his message wasn’t downtrodden black kid vs privileged white kid, but instead downtrodden black kid vs privileged black kid, acting like the privileged black kid wasn’t a seriously good player playing defense, no?

And as a reminder, according to Coach Prime (not that I buy into his argument), we want the privileged kids, especially the ones from intact families, and also the white ones, on offense, not defense, exactly where those privileged white players C-Mack and Luck were playing.

All these types of messages are garbage IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: bighitter1515
Is there a running list of official visitors somewhere? (Realizing March recruiting thread is probably the place) Thanks!

I can't process this level of recruiting activity.

What are we to make of it?

Are things like prior years but just being reported differently?

Or has it all changed as dramatically as it appears?

I thought this incoming class, 2024, was a miracle given the state of the program.

Does Taylor have some magic recruiting juju?

Taylor and his staff appear to be able attract the attention 3* and 4* recruits enough for them to schedule OVs and examine more closely what Stanford has to offer. Can the staff close on the offers in the 2025 class? That remains to be seen. Improvement during the 2024 season should help their chances.

Last edited:

I thought this incoming class, 2024, was a miracle given the state of the program.

If I recall correctly, recruits are no longer limited to 5 OVs each. If true, that may also be having an upward impact on visits (maybe a bit on offers too...you can swing for the fences, since kids may visit even if we're not in their top 5).

Not much difference being in, say, Tallahasse and flying to Boston versus Palo Alto.

Maybe not in miles, but often a monster difference in PERCEPTION.

Many people in the East think that flying the Atlantic seaboard is just a short hop, no matter how long it actually is. It's much like many people in the West don't think it's a particularly long flight going from either LA or San Diego, to Seattle, but hesitate to take a "really long" flight to Dallas, Atlanta or Miami.

Reactions: oldweirdharold

Taylor and his staff appear to be able attract the attention 3* and 4* recruits enough for them to schedule OVs and examine more closely what Stanford has to offer. Can the staff close on the offers in the 2025 class? That remains to be seen. Improvement during the 2024 season should help their chances.
I have a rush of adrenaline each time I see a big recruit is coming but I think it’s too early to say much about this pace and what it means for the program. Last year we had 15 Rivals 5.8 visitors according to that link above (thanks to Ben for updating and SamuelMcF for sharing!) and right now Ben’s list shows five such visitors for 2025. A lot of work to do to build what we used to call the Hot Board and then of course to close.

By the way, Stanford ending up with about a third of the guys who gave us a serious look (as measured by junior spring visits, for instance) has been the basic norm for a while. Back in the day we could say if they visit they will come, but as visits became less self-selecting and as the calendar moved up the rate became something like a third. I would have serious doubts we can do a whole lot better than that while our football reputation is where it is, though it would be amazing if we could dramatically improve the blue chip yield in 2025. I reckon we will be going backwards if we can’t snag six 5.8+ guys so realistically we need 15-20 such guys to visit. I’m not impressed yet.

if we can’t snag six 5.8+ guys

I think the biggest benefit to "snagging" at least 4 or 5 guys who are rated 5.8 or 5.9 is not really just for the strength of the '25 class.

What may be more significant is that getting four or five 5.8 type guys in '25 almost certainly makes it easier to interest, convince and "snag" MORE of them in '26 and '27. Really GOOD players usually prefer to go play where there are already some really GOOD players!

Reactions: netStan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT