ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointed in Shaw

JeebsOak

All-American
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2015
Let's preface this saying that throughout my time on this board I have had the tendency to post in a drunken state from the Grove or the comfort of my couch on road games. In particular, claiming that Shaw needed to be fired several times(after the Utah game in I believe 2013, after the two doozies against Washington and WSU in I believe 2015 and probably a few more to count). I was wrong, short sided and again often under the influence of a lot of booze jading my view of Shaw and the heights this program has reached...

However, it brings me to my next point, is there a coach in America that is more stubborn than David Shaw? The recent news of him not allowing official visits in the spring and on game days is perhaps the most disgusting, egotistical self selecting elitist and narcissistic behavior I have seen from an athletic coach in America in quite some time.

I have several points for David to show how stupid this is:

1. Shaws argument that "Stanford Men" typically self select is absolutely disgusting. There are hard statistics out there that show under privileged students attending Stanford, often, now, he is saying that any football player thinking of coming to Stanford must for his way, often times cross country to a school that he might never get into.

2. What happens to the players that cannot afford to visit unofficially? Are they not "Stanford Man" because their parents aren't doctors? not lawyers? not legacies? Are they not afforded the same opportunity as others because they might come from a different background. Isn't a "Stanford Man" hinged upon academic and athletic excellence, not income and social status? Now we are depending on self selection among 17-18 year old kids who might have never stepped foot on campus but dreamt of going there, being weeded out for 2-3* legacies/

and worst of all, Why? Because you "want to spend time with your players on gamedays" Bullshit, become a better coach, adapt to the college football landscape, look people in the eye that should not be a part of the program and fire them and earn your million dollar salary. This is BIG TIME COLLEGE FOOTBALL at a PREMIER UNIVERSITY. Don't pin your weaknesses on this weak argument that it takes time out of your "busy vacation time" by not allowing players to officially visit.

As Jacob said, we used 20 of the 56 allotted official visits, how is David not sitting here going "wow imagine if I had better players, how much more time I would have to spend time on things that matter" instead he is going the opposite direction.

Every coach in America has to be laughing at David right now, any but not all low income youth athletes that are academically qualified are now depending on others to foot the bill for an opportunity that is there, 36 official visits not used for a school with an endowment that equals small countries, 36 opportunities to fill a world class university with world class athletes instead we focus on "self selection" as our excuse. How does a kid know he is a Stanford man if he's never been around them?

This is a dangerous precedent Mr. Shaw and I am disappointed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News