ADVERTISEMENT

Football Bay Area Media Day: David Shaw Q&A

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
I attended the Bay Area media day featuring the head coaches and several players from each of the three schools. David Shaw, Cam Scarlett and Malik Antoine represented Stanford.

I chatted with Scarlett and Antoine a bit before the official Q&A session. Scarlett spent the summer working as the social media coordinator for his brother's nonprofit (Big Yard) and participated in the charity event, which was a dodgeball tournament with a number of athletes (high school, college and pro). It got competitive and "Dodgeball" movie quotes were flying almost as often as the ball.

If I heard correctly, Antoine worked at Stanford Federal Credit Union headquarters learning about the trade and networking. He's an MSE major and smiled when he said he wants to pursue a career in that all-encompassing world of "business". He doesn't get back to Louisiana often but said when he does it feels like Stanford is home and he's visiting where he grew up. He looks forward to seeing more of the world when he's done with school.

Now, to the conversation with Shaw. (My interviews with Scarlett and Antoine will be posted in separate threads and I'll note which questions for Shaw were mine.)

Why do you think the running game will be much improved over last year?
Shaw:
"First and foremost, health. We're starting the season healthier. Last year we had two (offensive line) starters who couldn't begin the season and one who was barely ready at the beginning of the year. We were never completely healthy. The rest of the guys got banged up from there throughout the end of the year. We didn't have depth. This year we're starting the season healthy and we're starting the year deeper than we were a year ago. That's the first thing.

"Second, we spent a lot of time this offseason as coaches really narrowing down what we're going to do and what we're good at. There was a transitional period last year between what we did and what Kevin Carberry brought to us. Varying levels of success: I thought we ran the ball not at all against San Diego State, and then ran it much better against USC, and then from then even when guys were getting healthy someone else was getting banged up. Philosophically I think we came to who we really want to be this offseason. I know our guys have bought in and now we need to work on it in training camp.

"Those are the biggest things for me: our health, our depth and our dedication to exactly what we're going to be between the lines."

What is the situation with the running backs? Is Cameron Scarlett like Tyler Gaffney?
Shaw:
"He reminds me so much of Tyler Gaffney in size and athleticism. Cam in spots during the last couple years when Bryce missed games, he would come in and play at a high level. He catches the ball extremely well out of the backfield. He has been our four-minute back multiple times to hand the ball to 10-12 times in a quarter to run a game out. Now he has that first crack to be the guy.

(Shaw also said Scarlett wants to remain the kickoff returner but that Connor Wedington seems like a likely candidate there.)

Paulson Adebo and Obi Eboh appear set a corner. Malik Antoine will start at safety. It seems pretty open at the other DB spots. Who do you think are the contenders coming into camp and how does the arrival of five freshmen affect that? (My question)
Shaw:
"(Kendall) Williamson played a lot for us last year, mostly at nickel and a little bit at safety. He's had an injury plagued offseason but he should start camp pretty healthy. He's a dynamic athlete who we think has a chance to be very, very good at the college level.

"We had a bunch of guys who missed a lot of time, though. Treyjohn Butler did some nice things on special teams ... he has speed and athleticism. Now he has some maturity, also. He missed a lot of time. There is a good group back there to choose from. It's a long training camp with great competition.

"We're hoping we can come out of training camp with 8-9 guys who we feel like can go out there and help us be great on defense."

When you have five freshmen who you haven't seen play college football, but several will need to play, and then the injured guys coming back, does that position group feel like the biggest question right now for the defense? (My question)
Shaw:
"No, I think the biggest question on the defense is the defensive line. We were young last year and we weren't extremely productive. We're counting on those guys to take a big step. Mike Williams, Jovan Swann, Thomas Booker, Dalyn Wade-Perry, Thomas Schaffer ... all those guys can play a role.

"I'm really comfortable with where we are at safety and corner. Paulson (Adebo) has earned the title of college football superstar right now. We have a really good group of guys, it just depends on how it shakes out.

"I feel good about our secondary. I think our linebacker corps for the next few years is going to be really good. Casey Toohill runs that group. He's probably in the best shape of his life and is ready to go. I think at outside linebacker we're as deep as we've ever been -- three deep at both sides. Moving Curtis (Robinson) inside we have experience, length and athleticism. Andrew Pryts had a really good offseason as well. We have a couple young guys who are vying for time, Ricky Miezan and Jacob Mangum-Farrar. All of those guys together can bolster the defensive unit."

Who will step up at wide receiver?
Shaw:
"We're excited. The production walking out the door is unquestioned. Trent Irwin had more than 100 receptions in his career. JJ had a phenomenal year. But you watch Michael Wilson last year and this year he should be exciting. He has taken a big step this offseason. Connor Wedington missed so much time last season and we had a big role planned for him last year. Connor has had a phenomenal offseason and is strong as he has ever been. He's fast, he's explosive.

"Osiris St. Brown, hopefully we can get him back and be more involved. He made big splash plays last year. Hopefully we can get him more involved and healthy.

"Simi Fehoko played a little last year. The sky is the limit for him. He has had a great offseason getting back into shape from being gone on his Mormon mission.

"We have a couple young guys coming in who we feel really good about. Combine that with Colby Parkinson, that whole group of pass receivers for KJ is exciting."

Is Foster Sarell a tackle or a guard?
Shaw:
"Foster can play both but we're going to try to get him to concentrate on tackle. Last year we had to prepare him to play different places along the line. Once we got hurt we lost our depth. Coming back this year, starting his third year, we'd love to get him entrenched. We've been focusing on right tackle. He had a really good offseason. He is healthy, finally. I think it's best for him to stay at one spot and get comfortable."

What about Devery Hamilton?
Shaw:
"Devery is probably the most versatile lineman we have. Most likely he will play guard for us. He's going to be that guy who has to prepare to play everywhere. He can start at right guard for us and if a tackle gets banged up he can fill in. He has the length and athleticism to play tackle and the strength and flexibility to play guard."

There are five freshmen offensive linemen. Obviously it's difficult for a true freshmen to play that position, but do you expect one of them will have to play a significant role? (My question)
Shaw:
"There's a chance. We have six veterans coming back, so hopefully we don't have to thrust a guy out there who is not ready. But the competition is always there for a guy to step up and maybe play a role -- our short yardage, goal line stuff and as our "ogre". That possibility is there but we hopefully don't have to thrust a guy in there before he's ready."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News