ADVERTISEMENT

Assessing the 2023 roster

msqueri

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2006
Returning to something I did in 2019 and 2020 and then stopped when Shaw's last years became too depressing, which is to assess the roster based on a bunch of PFF data. In truth the 2023 team performance was just as bad, and arguably worse, than it was in 2021 and 2022, but because we are early in a new regime we can still hope for upward trajectory. Taking stock of where we stand therefore still has some interest for me. But I do hope that a year from now we have much more to be excited about.

This time I will start with something I didn't do those years, which is to provide a baseline for PFF's assessment of the team overall. The first, most fundamental thing to know is that PFF graded us #130. Harsh does not begin to describe that. We were really bad in 2023 but in the final analysis Sagarin had us #101 and SP+ had us #108, so PFF had an especially harsh read of our performance. The lowest ranks we had previously had in a season by PFF's lights were #115 in 2022 and #118 in 2021, which are also and lower than Sagarin thought (#89 in 2021 and #87 in 2022). #130 means PFF thought we were the worst Power Five team in America (Arizona State #127 and Vanderbilt #126).

PFF thought we were #116 on offense, #131 on defense, and #78 on special teams.

In terms of specific component grades here is how we ranked from best attributes to worst attributes:

74) Tackling
83) Receiving
111) Run Blocking
112) Passing
118) Running
119) Pass Blocking
128) Coverage
129) Pass Rush
129) Run Defense

There was nothing good about our 2023 season. The only thing that wasn't crappy was tackling (hat tip to Coach Gregory for his tackling circuit). Deeply depressing that we brought in a good chunk of the Wisconsin staff and the results were being one of the worst teams in the country in three of the four defensive attributes.

Still in an only up to go from here place in football. Our gamble is that a new culture, strength and conditioning, and players brought in by the new staff will turn things around. Very speculative at this point but we have to hope.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News