ADVERTISEMENT

Another OT - Giants Can Kapler

SLS90

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 28, 2017
I'm no fan of spreadsheet baseball; platooning all over the field; and pitching games by committee as a regular strategy. And Kapler struck me as almost knee-jerk in his adherence to whatever the numbers say. And Kapler did so myopically - not thinking beyond the current moment of the game, or even watching the game. Lefty reliever? PH with the righty - never mind it's only the fourth inning. Similarly, third time through the lineup? Must pull the starter - even if he is mowing them down. And Kapler took growing heat for that as the season progressed. Indeed, it was as if Kapler kept Webb out there for the 7th-9th innings in Webb's last start not because Kap wanted to - but because the grumblings of discontent from fans and players about "Spreadsheet Ball" had become too loud to ignore and Kapler wanted to show he could manage in non-analytics manner. Plus, Kapler didn't exactly build up any "warm fuzzies" with the fan base (or anyone, so far as I can tell). In sum, no fan of Kapler - either his substantive managing or his style/demeanor - so no tears shed with his departure.

Having said all that, I believe Kapler is the stereotypic fall guy/scapegoat here. All Kapler did was implement Farhan's vision. Hell, I suspect Farhan hired Gabe in the first place because Farhan had great confidence that Kapler would do Farhan's bidding without question/protest/independence. They were completely sympatico. Thus, I view the canning of Gabe as a CYA move by Farhan, and that's never a good look.

It's Farhan who needs to change, with or without a new manager. Scrap platoon baseball - it sucks for players and fans. And btw, Farhan better publicly disavow that approach; otherwise, he won't get good players to sign with the G's (no good Big Leaguer wants to be platooned all the time). And ownership needs to open up the purse to sign legit starters. (BTW, I'd try and keep Manaea - letting Gausman go was a big mistake).

The manager will not matter, until Farhan scraps his insistence on Spreadsheet Ball. I heard on the radio today that Buster, who recently moved back to Bay Area, might be in contention. No idea if he would be any good in that role; however, it might move the needle on the fan base . . . as much as any managerial hire can.

All I know is that the Giants better not hire Kapler's "Mini Me" Assistant Coach. I don't even know who that guy is (name or anything). All I know is that I was embarrassed for him every time I saw him next to Gabe in the dugout with his matching outfit, glasses, and facial hair. Dude, have some pride and independence!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kashia1 and Trancos
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News