ADVERTISEMENT

Why I Would Hate to Be an Alabama Fan

peli00can

Captain
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2015
I've followed Stanford football and basketball and tennis for -- gasp! -- fifty years. I've often wondered which type of Stanford team is the most interesting or most fun to watch.

My experience is that the (pre-season!) outstanding teams are the least fun. An Alabama fan can never truly enjoy a surprising football win because, especially non-conference, a win always is expected. Similarly, a UCONN women's basketball fan, until recently, could never savor a close game. The only surprise is a loss. The Stanford men's basketball corollary would be one of the "twins years" -- either Collins or Lopez -- where exceedingly high hopes ultimately were dashed even though the seasons produced many wins.

Obviously, the (pre-season!) terrible teams are also not fun -- until they pull off an upset. As you watch the season of losses unfold week by week, you find yourself hoping that yet another loss will compel Stanford to change coaches and strategies. Thanks, Twowins and Wvalt. Of course bad teams may entertain if the future does not look too bleak. Some teams -- the tannic current men's basketball team? -- need time to age.

The best seasons are those where you anticipate that Stanford probably will win many and lose a few. The surprising wins make your day. Thanks, Tavita, for that last second Coliseum pass. The close losses do not depress nearly as much. Those years when Harbaugh's and Shaw's and Monty's teams out performed meager expectations were grand. Those who pine for Stanford to be a football or basketball national champion presumably have good motives but probably unhappy sports lives. Those who still think a Big Game victory or a Sweet Sixteen berth can salvage a roller-coaster season probably will smile more often.

In other words, (predicted!) 12-0 seasons or 26-0 seasons would be seasons where we could only lose. In contrast, 10-2, 9-3, even 8-4 seasons or 20-6 and 18-8 seasons can offer gifts.

Stanford's unique recruiting position -- "Do I really have to fill out an academic application?" -- guarantees not only that alumni will see fine role models but also that, over time, the sports seasons frequently will be uncertain, and interesting, and fun.

Of course, your Stanford mileage in the stands or on your couch may differ.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News