ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Basketball Updated with story: Stanford wins No. 1,000 for VanDerveer

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
It was a special night at Maples Pavilion. It wasn't an amazingly well played game with the drama of No. 999, but the win over USC Friday sparked a celebration the likes of which that has never been seen before at Maples Pavilion. Everything from the crowd -- which filled in nicely -- to the post-game videos from former players, and influential people in VanDerveer's life, came together for a night that will forever live in the memory of those who were there to see it. I'll have a story, extensive quotes and hopefully video up later.

Edit: I admit to being overwhelmed trying to put this together. VanDerveer shared with media after the game almost 20 minutes of stories, jokes and her thoughts on her career. Cynthia Cooper, USC's head coach, was wonderfully gracious with her comments and the scene on the court after the game was difficult to fully describe.

This story also includes almost all of VanDerveer's quotes. I plan to post Cooper's comments separately and get video up as soon as possible.

https://stanford.rivals.com/news/a-magical-night-at-maples-vanderveer-gets-win-no-1-000

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News