ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford v WSU bball gameday experience

rawbbbbbb

All-American
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2010
I went to the game on Saturday and thought it would be worthwhile to relay my experience, especially given the commemoration of the '98 team at halftime.

I met up with my group of eight at Tressider mid-afternoon and, after some beers and nachos at the Treehouse, made the beautiful walk across campus to Maples. After my friends quickly grabbed $17 nosebleeds at the box office (I already had freebies thanks to @StanMBAfan), we walked inside where Coach Shaw and Bernard Muir were hanging out.

I went up to Shaw when he was done, thinking of making a crack about how I still have a live arm if he needs me to QB the spring game, but instead I just shook his hand and thanked him for all he's done for his players and Stanford football. He was very gracious, as always.

We then headed downstairs to "sneak" into the 6th man section, though no sneaking was needed since it seemed to be pretty wide open to anyone. We sat on the very edge - right next to the "stationary bike section" - which had been reserved for the '98 team and their guests. Pretty cool to sit a few seats over from David Moseley, Kris Weems, Ryan Mendez, Mark Seaton, Mike McDonald, etc.

Peter Sauer's wife sat on the Stanford bench the whole game, while her daughters (wearing matching #5 Stanford jerseys) and what looked like Peter's mother and brothers, sat in the '98 section. Jason Collins was courtside with what looked like his mom while Jarron and Mad Dog did video tributes from the road as the Warriors and Lakers had games that night. I was disappointed that Tim Young and Art Lee (arguably the most important player on that team) weren't heard from.

The 6th man section was even more docile than expected (a couple of girls actually moved away from us for cheering too loudly). 4PM on a Saturday is probably the best time you can go to a game as a student. No chants, no coordinated shirts (do they still give them out?) and sitting with minimal noise. When things got tight late, We were urging 6th man to actually stand up and cheer for a close game.

As far as the on court action, it was closer than expected but, to their credit, WSU shot the lights out and hit a lot of contested 3s. Kezie Okpala was super impressive, playing one of his best games of the season. He's long and quick with solid handles, and does a nifty spin move that consistently gets him past his man and into the lane. As he develops more confidence in his outside stroke, I expect him to score in the mid teens next season (if Travis leaves, Okpala is my pick for leading scorer). He plays like Kevin Durant without a consistent outside shot.

When things get tough, the guys clear out for Davis who can get to the rim against almost anyone, where his ability to hang and control his body in the air usually leads to a bucket or foul. He's a stud. Cartwright and Sharma saw no action. I feel bad for Cartwright who figures to be buried even further on the bench next season. Stanback playing over Sharma was a bit of a surprise, but good to see the big guy getting some run late in the season. His size will be needed more next year.

Monty gave a really nice speech at halftime as the '98 team was honored, getting choked up while talking about Sauer next to his wife. Kamba Tshionyi (the senior co-captain of that team) also spoke. The only celeb I spotted was, of course, Condi, who was in an upper row of the lower section.

A really fun experience overall and I hope to be back for an NIT game if Stanford can land a high seed and home date.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News