ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Stanford 85, ASU 71: Q&A Haase, da Silva and Okpala

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Jerod Haase

In general, everything seemed to be answering your prayers here in the way they played the game?

"Prayers to a certain extent and demands, as well. We've tried to keep things really simple for them. This last month has been really good in terms of practice and it hasn't carried over to the games very often. But today I thought it did. I thought it started with our competitive spirit, which was really good. When we don't turn the ball over good things are going to happen. I don't know what our turnover number was (but) with about four minutes left in the game it was about half of what it ended up being. We did pass the ball effectively. We got clean shots, and when that happens we have a chance. When we turn it over every time it gets into a choppy game; it deflates our defense. I think the turnover piece of it, and valuing the basketball, is really a key. I do think they executed that piece today and we need to execute that going forward."

You may have just answered this, but when you see the team play like they did today for 40 minutes of pretty good basketball, is there something that you see that lets you know there's a good chance you're going to see the team you want to see on the court?
"I think we're going to have ebbs and flows throughout the year. But I actually believe at this we're trending up. Now I say that because I see the team more than you do. You just see the games and there have been a lot of ebbs and flows and we don't really know where we are right now. I think through practices I'm confident we are building a foundation for a strong team and a strong program. I'm optimistic we're moving in the right direction and today was a good step."

Do you think this was the best performance of the season so far?
"Yeah, I do. I thought the competitiveness was really good. The execution of the game plan was really good. Obviously there were some slip ups here and there. I would say this was the best performance we've had."

Da Silva's performance: "He was awesome. I've talked about it many, many times that if we're going to be a big-time team he has to be one of the pieces that plays at a high level. For the most part this year we've been the KZ show and then Daejon, when he's playing well we kind of have a chance. It's been slim pickings from there. We need to have four guys every game really playing at a high level. For the most part this year we ended up with two who are playing a really good game. That needs to increase. If we can get ... Oscar playing like that more consistently that's going to get us to a greater number of players playing at a high level."

When you watched the Arizona film was there any other specific message to the team, other than cutting down turnovers, that you wanted to see tonight?
"Making free throws always helps as well. After the Arizona game -- it's hard to say pleased, because when you lose you're not pleased -- I was still optimistic. Miserable, but optimistic about the chances we're going to be pretty good. I thought we played hard, but when you have that many silly turnovers and you don't make free throws it's going to be hard. Our field goal percentage was good. Our defensive field goal percentage was good. But there were some positives we could take away from that if you look at the big picture and not just that game."

What's the secret to maintain that consistency?
"I'm not smart enough to know except have great practices. That's been our message for the last month. My tone and demands have increased over this last month. I think the guys ... they haven't been fighting it but it has been ... the learning curve has to be pushed some. We need to get things going a little bit faster. We showed that it got a little bit faster with the turnovers in particular. Everything else has stemmed from that, I thought."

Davis' play: "One of our players, and we actually posted in the locker room, said we feed off each other's energy -- good or bad. Daejon is probably the poster child of that. We feed off of his energy. When he's really good and energetic and locked into the game and playing well, we tend to do pretty well. If he's struggling in any way ... the team reflects that. Today he was in and out a little bit, especially in the first half. In the second half I thought he was much more locked in consistently."

Is there any word on Cormac Ryan (who left the game with a left ankle injury) and where is the concern level now about what he's going through this season with his ankles?
"I haven't visited with the doctors and trainers yet about him. The concern level is high, both from a personal level and a team perspective. We're going to treat him and do what's right by him and get him back healthy as soon as we can. He's obviously a huge piece to what we're doing."

Okpala and da Silva

After the last game the situation was described as must-win with your backs against the wall. What did you see from the team in the days after that loss and today?
Da Silva:
"It was definitely a mentality thing. We came in with the right mindset today. We made progress after the LA trip against Arizona. It just didn't go our way. Today we did everything right, came in with the right mindset and competed. That's the result you're going to get from that."

You guys had a 12-0 run to start the second half. What was said in the locker room?
Okpala:
"We've been in games at halftime when it's close and we come out soft. Our backs are against the wall every game if we don't get a win. We came out punching and executing."

Oscar, how did you feel coming into today and did it feel like a breakthrough for you?
"Yeah, it felt good. I found my flow offensively really early. My teammates kept finding me. I got a lot of open, easy shots. That gives you confidence throughout the game."

Do you feel like you can make a run now in the conference?
Okpala:
"Definitely. This win does a lot. It gives us confidence. We know we can beat any team."

How do you account for how well the team took care of the ball?
Da Silva:
"That was a big key to the game today. We got into Arizona and had 18 turnovers. If you cut that in half that's nine more possessions that we can have. That's 20 points, almost. We shoot high-percentage shots when we get our offense going. I think valuing the ball and getting shots was important for us, especially in the first half."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News