ADVERTISEMENT

Football Some post-practice notes

Andy Drukarev

Apr 2, 2011
I'll have the full writeup posted probably sometime tomorrow (had to deal with some new dog owner issues earlier this evening and want to post a Jovan Swann article ASAP), but a few notes to pass along from today's media availability.

-Brendon Austin and Dave Bright will see time at both right guard and right tackle.

"As we get into camp they'll both do a lot on both," Shaw said.

-Given the conflicting reports about the state of the center competition (or lack thereof), I asked Shaw if it was, in fact, a competition between Shuler and Caspers or if Shuler had the position locked up.

"We're going to roll some guys through there," he said. "We'll see if it turns into a competition. Caspers was forced into duty because of Burkett missing the spring and was outstanding. So I think his play has amplified Graham's play. I think they'll continue to push each other and we'll see how that goes. Graham is our starter right now coming off the good year, but Johnny Caspers has shown that he can play the position too."

-Kodi Whitfield has missed the first two practices with an undisclosed injury.

"He's going to miss maybe the next few days before he's back out here," Shaw said. "He'll be fine before game one."

-Harrison Phillips looks noticeably larger this year. He put on significant weight in the offseason.

-Kevin Hogan said he received feedback that he could be selected anywhere from the late second round (as the third quarterback taken) to the 5th/6th round.

-Someone asked about the possibility of another roster getting released during chat; I asked one of the media relations representatives and it sounds like nothing is imminent as far as an update. They might tweak weights here or there depending on gain/loss, but it doesn't sound like there is a plan for a comprehensive update at this juncture.

-Here's an article from the official Stanford athletics site on the first few days of camp. A few interesting notes: http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=210263130

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News