ADVERTISEMENT

Question about Official Visits

NoQuestionRox

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2008
In one of the posts I read, there was a reference to OVs being more impressively executed than in previous years. That could mean many things and be in the eye of the beholder.. But then I saw the Josh Petty comment about Stanford offering "the total package," and had some questions about how Stanford OVs in the NIL, and looming pay to play world might be differentiated from other schools.

Pre-NIL, the schools Stanford competed against probably had to pump up their academic programs as much as possible to win over recruits, and especially their parents, because there was no cash compensation as part of the equation. They could also talk about coaching development, facilities, ML sports preparation, etc.

Now, post-NIL, I wonder if the schools Stanford competes against are emphasizing education, degree value, networking, etc. as much as pre-NIL, when they now have the cash compensation angle to play up.

I would imagine Stanford is probably leaning into the value of its education and professional development beyond sports, now, more than ever. Think of it like three variables. and there are 150 emphasis points to spread among Student experience, Sports experience/athlete development, and Compensation.

Student experience = Degree value, quality of education, professional networking and non-sports development
Sports experience = Athlete S&C, skill development, winning/losing/tradition, environment/fan support
Compensation = NIL opportunities and soon compensation from school

My guess is Stanford would allocate its emphasis points something like:

Student experience: 50
Sports experience: 50
Compensation: 50

My guess is most Stanford competitors would allocate their emphasis points something like:

Education: 30
Sports Experience: 70
Compensation: 50

Does this seem to reflect reality?

By no means does not allocating as many emphasis points mean the school can't offer something good in that bucket. I firmly believe you get the undergraduate education out that you put in the effort to get, no matter where you are. Stanford can compete with its peers on the NIL front. This is about school emphasis in terms of projecting its culture and values to recruits when they visit campus.

If Stanford and most of its competitors allocate their emphasis this way, it should be relatively easy for Stanford - and people who follow recruiting - to know who is likely going to end up at Stanford and who isn't. To me, when Josh Petty says "total package," Stanford is the only school offering it; that's what the 50-50-50 emphasis would project. I think this tells you Stanford is holding its own on the NIL front too. I could argue Stanford is actually in position to be a more formidable recruiting performer now than ever before.

It also makes me wonder WTF Muir was saying when he said "if players get paid, we are doomed," when he must know the settlement on the House case was and is happening, and what that means. Maybe it is a bait and switch, and the NCAA swine are counting on Congress to outlaw any athlete payments. Oh what a time to be alive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News