ADVERTISEMENT

Football QB incompetence, unbalanced penalty calls, strange 4th down coaching decisions, and Manley

MSG1716

Captain
Gold Member
May 11, 2017
Redwood City, CA
If you eliminated those problems, I think it's potentially a Stanford victory.

QB. This was incredibly bad QB play. Not mediocre or poor, but incredible bad. Our first three drives ended with two Daniels' INT and a turnover on downs because of a Lamson fumble. At least the fumble was from a good defensive play. Both INTs were very bad decisions and executions. When you want to throw it out of bounds under pressure, you just have to pass the line of scrimmage not throw it way down field toward multiple defenders. The end zone INT, yes it was clearly interference with the defender holding Ayomanor's jersey (should be an easy call), was another very poor decision and poor execution (pass behind where it should have been). The QB play got no better in the 2nd half. Daniels gave up more points than he helped us score. We ran for nearly twice as many yards as we passed, averaging 4.6 yards per pass while running for 5.4 yards per carry. I'm sure Matt will have some great analysis on this tomorrow. Assuming Daniels is out and we know our one true QB is out 4-6 weeks, who is our 4th string QB. I think it's worth giving him a try over Lamson. If Brown were healthy, Daniels injury could help our win total. But Lamson ain't going to do it.

Penalties. I felt, but I know I'm prejudiced like the ESPN announcers were for Clemson, that Manley was called for PI over and over again. Sometimes deserved for sure, but other times just because he didn't turn toward the QB, doesn't mean he can't raise his arms and hit the receiver while both players reach for ball as the ball goes over his shoulder. Can you challenge penalties in college like you can in the pros? If so, we should have thrown out the challenge flag many times. Two important plays that come to mind are the PI against Ayomanor in the end zone that end in an INT and a tackle from the side against one of our DTs on a Clemson TD pass in the first half. The OT's arm was completely around our DT's neck pulling him to the ground. I saw it on a replay when they showed the Clemson QB passing the ball under pressure.

Coaching Decisions. Some of those 4th down decision were ridiculous. 4th and 1 makes sense potentially anywhere on the field, but 4th and 6 at the 15 yard line is a good time for a FG when we were down, I think, 13 at the time in the 3Q. I would say with Lamson in, should surprise defenses by passing more, but after watching him pass and stare at one receiver before he gets sacked, I understand why he runs nearly every time he's in.

Manley. If you watched the game, you know that he was the weakest part of a not that bad defense for the first 3Qs. We do need explore another option but with Green injured, I don't know who the options are but again, like QB, worth giving him a try. How can a 5th year player not yet be trained to turn his head when the receiver looks like the ball is coming?

Reactions: MVDan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.