ADVERTISEMENT

Propaganda from Notre Dame fans

StannyBoy

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2012
http://www.irishenvy.com/forums/oth...5-stanford-recruiting-everything-else-53.html

Stanford is a lot harder to get into than ND for a football player. The myth is that you need like a 3.8 and 1300 SAT... and that myth exists because David Shaw has carefully cultivated it. Remember when he said he wouldn’t do satellite camps because “maybe one kid in the state could get in to Stanford?” It’s nothing but lies and propaganda. The truth is that a 3.0 and a 1000 is the bare minimum, and then the application process is pretty subjective. Most kids they take have much better than that minimum, but that’s all you need as a baseline if you’re really good at football... hardly the quality of a “normal” Stanford student by any sense of the imagination.

It truly is absurd how well they've done with the propaganda, especially considering:
1. It isn't close to true. They get LOTS of help on admissions.
2. Many students ABSOLUTELY do hold them in contempt, and have posted such online or wrote op-eds about it (I'll see if I can google them up later).
3. They got caught distributing a list of easy classes for athletes, and got super embarrassed about it. They had been publishing that list for years and then stopped when they got caught because it was bad optics... now they just do it by word of mouth.

But props to David Shaw for cultivating this perception... perception = reality. And it's not like the overall idea isn't rooted in fact -- Stanford is a great school and they graduate almost all their players with meaningful degrees. It's just the icing that they put on it that always makes me roll my eyes so hard... like these kids actually think they aren't getting help to get into Stanford? Or special treatment once there?

Considering Notre Dame's QB situation this season I hope we run up the score on them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News