ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Pre-Arizona road trip Q&A with Haase and Travis

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Jerod Haase

Given the performances Stanford has already put together against ASU and UA, how much of this being a big task is the environment?
“Playing on the road is always a challenge but when I look back to when I was a player I really enjoyed playing in great environments. Obviously there will be two great environments down there with teams playing for a lot in meaningful games. There is a lot of excitement late in the year right now. I always fed off that and one of my goals as a coach is to make sure guys feed off that and it’s not something to be passive or concerned about. It’s an opportunity to really go out there and have some fun with it. We put ourselves in a situation where it is meaningful so let’s see what we can do.”

How much does Arizona miss Trier?
“I think a lot. He’s one of the best players in the conference and one of the best players in the country. His shooting ability impacts the game in a lot of different ways -- not just that he’s putting it in the basket but he’s stretching defenses with his presence out there. It makes it so you can’t just focus on the big guys so his impact on the game when he’s out there is big. When he’s not out there it does change the scope of the game.”

On defense, it was a gutsy performance by Humphrey against DeAndre Ayton in the first game. What did he do in that first matchup that you hope is repeatable?
“He played fearless. He was working hard to front the low post and he competed on every possession, on every pass. As a team if we’re not going to compete at the highest level we’re not going to have a chance. We understand that has to be the mindset going down there.”

After the first UA game you said the team spent about the first 10 minutes figuring out the game. Do you think the team is past that and trust you can play with these better teams?
"Certainly at home -- I think there is a great deal of confidence when we go out in Maples. On the road it’s still yet to be determined. I think Colorado we had a much better feel and confidence going into the game. We didn’t play great but I thought we had a confidence. Utah, USC, UCLA -- I don’t know how confident we were. I have a great deal of confidence in our team. I think with our team that confidence is growing. We need to go out there almost a blind confidence that we understand if we can do it at home then we can do it on the road. The team just needs to trust me that we are a pretty good team. The environment instead of impacting us in a negative way maybe impacts us in a positive way to make it more exciting."

Reid Travis

Where do you think you came the furthest as a team in the wins over UW and WSU?

"Those were two big wins for us. We knew coming in those were two wins we needed to have to position ourselves in a place we wanted to be in the later games of the season. Very happy and proud of the way we competed in both games. I’d say the biggest takeaway for us is if we really lock in and defend at a high level then we can be in some more games. That really shows we’re playing defense that led to a lot of fastbreak points that sparked our offense. That’s a big point of emphasis to be locked in and play better defense.”

Arizona is without Allonzo Trier and maybe their head coach, is this an opportunity for you guys to take advantage of the situation?
“I don’t know if take advantage is the right way to say it. They’re obviously still a great team whether they have a player down or their coach isn’t coaching, we still know what we’re going to get. They still have a lot of great players and a lot of guys who can fill in. For us we’re going in with the same mindset that this is going to be a great challenge for us. We don’t think they’re down. We think they’re playing their best basketball right now.”

How much would it mean to this program to get a win down there?
“It would mean a lot for guys who have gone their whole career and never won down there and their time has passed here. For guys here it would mean something special. It’s a crazy atmosphere (and) they have great teams every year. It’s something I haven’t done and I definitely want to do before I leave here. For us to send Dorian (Pickens) and Mike (Humphrey) out on a high note with a win down there would be perfect.”

You guys have gotten off to slow starts offensively the past few road games. What do you need to do at Arizona where you need a good start to be competitive?
“It’s very important. Against a team like Arizona you don’t want to spot points … (because) it could be the difference between winning or losing. For us we just have to come out ready to play and we have to come out aggressive on defense. On offense we have to take the looks that we have to take the looks we have and really focus on making them so we don’t put ourselves in a hole. That’s the biggest to come out in the first four minutes and show that we’re up to playing and we put together a nice game plan.”

You’re watching the final games for Dorian and Mike, what was your experience watching senior day happen and what are your thoughts about your future?
"It was a cool experience watching them get honored. Obviously I came in with Mike and Dorian. I would have loved if I could have been up there with Rob, the four of us could have been there together, but injuries happen to where we can play an extra year. I definitely was very happy for them and it was a cool moment even though I wasn’t on center court with them. I still felt a part of that and being able to soak that up with them, enjoying their last time in Maples, so that was special. Going into this weekend and for them to be able to end with a road trip going back to their home and playing in front of their families -- I think there is not a better story to write than that to get two big wins for them. There’s a lot of energy I’m putting into that. I’m trying to bypass my future and look at the next step for that and pouring my energy into those two, because I think they deserve it. There’s a lot of uncertainty with me having an extra year that putting thought into it right now does me no good. Those are questions I don’t have answers to right now. The more I can put energy into them and really focus on sending them out the right way is put me at peace of mind and has really helped me through the process.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News