ADVERTISEMENT

Football Notes from Shaw and Bloomgren

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
David Shaw Quotes

Did Keller Chryst look more comfortable during course of the Oregon game?

It's time on task. You never know when that's going to happen and you have to be very vigilant and continue to push himself, like he always does. It was noticeable. Noticeable on film -- he threw the ball accurately, great in the pocket, some subtle pocket movement, found a check down. He did what we hoped he would. He's still improving and we hope he plays better this week.

Didn't seem as if play calling was designed to run down the clock as much when up by multiple scores, were you trying to get Chryst some extra looks?

We just wanted to play football. The score got out of whack early and there were things we wanted to make sure we had a chance to do. Some guys we wanted to get involved. We wanted to stay aggressive.

Mike Bloomgren Quotes

Was Chryst faster and more comfortable with his progressions?

Without question he was. The other thing is you know we give the kid player of the week and there's a couple throws that were, 'Oh my gosh that's amazing. That's what we knew you could do, bud.' But there's also the play-in and play-out stuff of getting us in the right play, getting everyone organized in a hostile environment ... and getting up there and playing ball. It was the first time I'd seen him make it look like it was this grass (points to practice field) instead of that game-day grass. It was really good to see his comfort level come along and I thought the guys around him played really well.

How did you guys take advantage of going up by multiple scores?

The thing I love is the number of guys we got in the game. I love the fact the fact that every offensive linemen we brought that wasn't redshirting played. I love that you got Cameron Scarlett in there for some key reps in Oregon and he ends up getting a touchdown. And also we get Patrick McFadden in there -- a guy who has been around this program forever and his brother played here. Those things are so cool to me. And to do them at Oregon is pretty nice, too.

I hear McFadden can even play guard on scout team, no pulling action for him?

We didn't get him in there for that (laughing). But he probably could have.

Was JJ Arcega Whiteside's breakout game because of how the game-day coverage worked out or was it something planned?

What was really cool is we've been challenging the pass game. When we say the pass game we've been very clear that it's going to start with the quarterback getting us in the right protection, it's going to start with line, the running backs and anyone else we ask to protect, the quarterback to make a good decision and then get the ball pushed. And once that happens we need the play-makers to go make plays. And that's what you saw the guys do and it started with JJ getting off, great release, running by somebody and making the play for a touchdown. But then also his next two catches where he's doing a heck of a job coming back to the ball and competing for it. Going and turning and eight-yard run into a 14-yard reception, getting a first down. Those things are so good to see.

It was the pass game coming together from protection to decision making to receivers making those plays.

The offense had some big plays that were able to compensate for previous negative plays, which has been missing this year:

One of the things that was in our team covenant last year was react. Things aren't going to go perfect in a football game. We know that. Having the ability to step back and say, 'Ok, we're going to flush that rep and we're going to go to the next play and we're still going to make this thing work.' Whether it was a penalty or sack or whatever, something that we've made a concerted effort as an offense is to go to the next play. And it's nice to see them do that.

What specific ways has the offensive line improved?

Their communication, just their comfort level with standing beside each other -- the verbal and non-verbal communication. We've had some guys filter through there and so now we're getting comfortable with these guys being able to in the course of a week learn to communicate and learn what it's going to take on the grass. How they're going to prepare in film study, the meeting room and walk throughs -- The thing I think we're doing a better job of is understanding the importance of everything we do together. We have to put the stress on ourselves to make it game-like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.