ADVERTISEMENT

Football Notes from open Feb. 29 practice

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
There wasn't much new information from Stanford's first open practice. Here are some of my observations and I should be able to add on more from the practice Sunday.

- I thought the top offensive player was Colby Bowman. He caught everything, got separation on routes and made the best catch of the day. He put a double move on Malik Antoine but I think the throw helped Antoine regain ground, so he was on Bowman's hip when Bowman had to adjust to make an over-the-shoulder catch while falling to the ground. It was an impressive effort and multiple teammates ran over to celebrate with Bowman.

Elijah Higgins is out and is working with trainers on the side of the field. Simi Fehoko was dressed but missed most of practice after tweaking his left foot or ankle. Despite those guys being out there are still plenty of receivers to watch. Michael Wilson, Osiris St. Brown and Connor Wedington looked sharp. Brycen Tremayne makes plays. There are plenty of receiving options and there will be more by the time the season begins.

- The offensive line is five scholarship players and former thrower Jake Koffman. The "starters" from left to right were: Walter Rouse, Barrett Miller, Drew Daman, Drake Nugent and Jake Hornibrook. Walker Little, Foster Sarell and Branson Bragg watched from the sideline. Wakely Lush also is out. Needless to say, it's pointless to watch the offensive line perform as a unit when that group will be completely different in camp. Little, Sarell and Bragg are starters. Miller will compete for the other spot. Nugent will compete to hold off Drake Metcalf and I think Hornibrook needs a year to develop now that he won't be forced to start.

I thought Dalman and Rouse looked good. They are both noticeably bigger from the end of last season. It seems there has been an organized effort to get guys bigger and stronger. I like that Rouse and Dalman often stay after practice to work with defensive linemen or other young offensive linemen.

I hear good things about the chemistry among the offensive linemen. They help each other and kept their heads up through a very difficult season. Dalman told me he never saw the freshmen doubt that they belonged in college football. They took the tough losses as lessons and moved on.

- Dalyn Wade-Perry is now a regular in the extra reps group. He "started" at nose and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a greater sense of urgency for him. There is nowhere to hide. If he doesn't play a lot this season it's not going to happen.

Joshua Pakola subbed in as the backup nose. Pakola looks like a defensive lineman now. It's remarkable how much bigger he is compared to this time last year when I saw him visiting while he was still in high school. I also liked what I saw from him one-on-one. On one drill his punch on a bull rush completely knocked Miller off balance, forcing him backward. He won a couple reps that I watched.

- Curtis Robinson and Tristan Sinclair "started" at ILB. It really is startling how much Sinclair does not look like an ILB, but there is no denying he is a good player. He covers really well and knows where to be. Notre Dame recruited him to play their DB/LB hybrid position and he'd be perfect for that. Nathaniel Peat made a great catch on the sideline with Sinclair in coverage but it was the pass and catch beating good coverage.

I wasn't able to ask why but Aeneas DiCosmo was taking reps at OLB even through OLB is loaded with guys. Jordan Fox and Loa Kaufusi aren't dressed, but there are still plenty of OLBs. I didn't see anything from the OLBs that wowed me but I'll focus more on them tomorrow. ILB Jake Lynch actually had two really good plays that got his teammates pumped.

- The first cornerbacks were Kyu Kelly and Zahran Manley. Salim Turner-Mohammad is out. I didn't see where Nicolas Toomer lined up in team so I will confirm that tomorrow. He got ripped to shreds by Duane Akina for giving up on a play after he got beat in a one-on-one drill. Ethan Bonner is healthy and looked like he was moving well despite wearing a soft brace. Jonathan McGill had a nice pass breakup and can always be counted on to play with great enthusiasm.

- I didn't watch Davis Mills to evaluate his day. He looked solid but the wind picked up a lot during practice and it became difficult conditions to hit anything that wasn't a short route. Dylan Plautz and Jack West rotated in a way that it wasn't clear who was No. 2 but I thought Plautz looked good. He had a really nice throw in the final team when he rolled left and threw against his body to his Bradley Archer perfectly in stride about 15 yards downfield.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News