ADVERTISEMENT

Commitment Watch

msqueri

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2006
Ok, getting antsy here. Some musings on my Commitment Watch:

Jacob told us last month that Pakola, DiCosmo, and Hornibrook were the three on his watch list. I don't know if any of those three are imminent:

* I have guessed that Pakola must be waiting for either the completion of his high school baseball season or for certain academic milestones that would put his mind at greater ease. In baseball, Saint Francis beat heavy underdog Half Moon Bay yesterday in the first round of the CIF Central Coast Section Baseball Tournament and has heavy underdog Pioneer coming up next on Friday. They are on a collision course to face rival Mitty in the semifinals next Tuesday or Wednesday and the winner would go to the championship on next Friday or Saturday. So we may be another week and a half from his baseball season having a bow on it. Academically, the Saint Francis graduation is next Saturday the 26th, so I imagine he is in the midst of wrapping up his coursework/finals for the year over the course of the next week. If he is waiting on grades, that might bleed into June but I don't know the schedule for that.

* DiCosmo and his father have repeatedly mentioned his June official visits to Michigan and Notre Dame and wanting to commit shortly thereafter, so as of now it looks like a late June/early July announcement from him.

* It seems questionable whether Stanford is even the favorite for Hornibrook now that Wisconsin has offered. Perhaps but certainly a more contested recruitment now.

At this point I would view Turner-Mohammad as the most likely drought-breaker, but would defer to Jacob's insights/connections.

In general, high school years are wrapping up so grades should be coming in the next several weeks, which can help clarify options. AP tests also can make a difference (though I don't know if we require more than passing them, or even if we give weight for taking an AP course without passing the exam). To date, 28 AP tests have been administered, three more are being administered today, and tomorrow closes out the year with the final four. SAT scores for the May 5 date are coming out around this time/in the coming days, but many kids will elect to take the June 2 SAT, which means scores wouldn't be out for them until mid-June. There is a June 9 sitting for the ACT.

All in all, seeing a calendar that will require some patience into June for real fireworks on the commitment watch. But I sure hope STM and Pakola give us something to celebrate soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News