ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting 6-16 All positions camp session one recap

Andy Drukarev

Apr 2, 2011
In between session one and session two of Stanford's All Positions camp. The camp will conclude tomorrow morning with the third and final session.

I'll check back in late tonight with a recap of the evening session.

Honestly not a ton of huge names here, though definitely some intriguing prospects.

Quarterback

Tanner McKee is I believe really the only college QB prospect out here. I spotted him at the camp, but he didn't work out this afternoon. We'll see if that changes this evening or tomorrow.

Running back

Actually two relatively big names that are supposed to be here - Kaegun Williams and Jackson McChesney. Williams has Cal and Tennessee offers, among others, and McChesney is a terrific athlete who's committed to BYU. I actually didn't spot either in the afternoon session, but I spent the bulk of the session watching the linemen on a completely different field from the skill guys. I'll try to watch the running backs a bit this evening.

Linebacker

Odua Isibor (Texas A&M, USC, etc... offers) is the big name at linebacker. He definitely needs to add some bulk, but has a nice frame. I did not spot Alston Orji, but we know he's in the area (and was expected), so I'd imagine he's here somewhere. Will try to get that ironed out this evening.

Benji Mowatt visited Stanford for Junior Day in the spring and has a handful of Ivy League offers.

Again, spent most of the first session watching the linemen, so not a ton of observations to pass along here.

Offensive line

The two big names are 2017 OL Drew Dalman and 2018 Oregon OL Dawson Jaramillo.

I think most here are familiar with Dalman, who was accompanied to camp by his father. (And his older sister actually helps out in the athletics department - she was working at camp registration.) I thought he was good this afternoon - won most of his board drill reps and fared relatively well in pass rush stuff - but not dominant a la Nate Herbig last year. And Drew beat a few times in pass rush. I'll have video posted after the camp so folks can get a look for themselves.

The best offensive lineman in board drills was probably Michael Saffell. Don't think he's going to be a Stanford scholarship type kid, but hard-nosed and definitely got the best of a number of defensive linemen. Unfortunately he got a bit dinged up and didn't do pass rush drills - we'll see if he does this evening. Saffell has Ivy League offers, so perhaps he could be a walk-on option?

If Saffell wasn't the top linemen during board drills, that designation might go to 2017 OL Victor Oluwatimi. He even flipped over to DL a bit and did well there. Oluwatimi wasn't quite as good in some of the pass rush stuff I saw, but was still one of the top OL there.

Ethan Schofield, Zach Cochrun, Chance Sears and Mercury Compagno were among the other OL to catch my eye, though odds are none of them will be Stanford level scholarship guys..

Unfortunately I wasn't able to see much of Dawson Jaramillo because the linemen were kind of separated by age group, but I'll try to keep an eye out for him this evening.

Defensive linemen

The two best defensive linemen, in my opinion, were 2019 phenom Faatui Tuitele (Nate Herbig's former high school teammate) and 2017 DL JJ Glass.

Easy to see why Tuitele already has multiple early offers. He was one of the better DL in board drills, and then was nearly unstoppable in the pass rush period. Will definitely be one to keep an eye on moving forward.

Glass is not really a Power 5 caliber scholarship prospect (he's like 6-foot, 250 or so), but he was the best DL in board drills and was also quite good in pass rush.

2018 Bosco DL Sal Spina is one of the guys Stanford is watching closely this week. He was OK in the two reps I saw of him in the board drill, but I'll need to watch more this evening to get a better sense for how he compares to the rest of the group.

Other notes

-The 2016 class is starting to trickle in - I believe they move into their dorms on Saturday. Nate Herbig, Dylan Powell and Scooter Harrington were out on the fields watching camp today. Nate actually has a younger brother who is participating the camp. He's a freshman (2020) linebacker. Some of the guys who have arrived are going to meet up to watch Game 6 of the NBA Finals - pretty good split of Cavs/Warriors fans in the group, apparently.

-Former Stanford ILB coach David Kotulski swung by campus and mingled with some of the coaches before camp kicked off. Kotulski left Stanford to take the DC job at Vanderbilt. He's now an assistant at Utah State. Kotulski was in the area (Utah State is doing some satellite camps in the Bay Area) and decided to swing by briefly to say hi to some old colleagues. I had a chance to chat with him for a few minutes - quite clear he holds very fond memories for his time at Stanford and thinks highly of the people there.

-Dalton Schultz, Brandon Fanaika and AT Hall were out at camp this afternoon helping the Stanford coaches. Mike Bloomgen used Hall and Fanaika to demonstrate various techniques, for instance. Fanaika was also out at the skills camp earlier this week - there's a 2018 LB here named Jonathan Fanaika who I believe is Brandon's younger brother.

-2017 Utah WR Jeremy Fehoko - Simi's younger brother - is another familiar name here this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News