ADVERTISEMENT

Couple notes from tonight re: Big Visit

Andy Drukarev

Apr 2, 2011
I've had a hard time getting a hold of many of the uncommitted visitors today/tonight. Some have been travelling, Frank Buncom and TJ Green were busy, others have not been responsive. But I have been able to make a number of calls/texts, and a few things to pass along. We will have many, many more articles/notes throughout the week, of course.

-Not that you would expect anything different, but everyone I have talked to so far has raved about the trip. The excitement was also evident on social media. (Again, the Rosewood Hotel once again this year, enjoyed a packed two days. Some of the notable visit activities were a trip to the EA Sports headquarters, an on-campus scavenger hunt, a player panel, a Q and A with Condoleeza Rice, the basketball game, the Auto Innovation lab, Stanford's virtual reality room, an outing to Pampas restaurant (a recruit favorite every year) and, above all, hanging out with the fellow recruits/current players.

-The one thing that has been missing (thus far, anyway) from the weekend is a public commitment/public commitments. I would not be too worried about that. There are still previously scheduled official visits to be taken to other programs/some admissions situations to work themselves out. Generally speaking, there's a good deal of confidence about Stanford's chances with all of the uncommitted visitors, at least based on what I gathered from a handful of conversations. I don't think it would be inaccurate to to say that Stanford is the team to beat for all of them.

Stanford will need to survive Bryce Love's Tennessee visit, and distance is a factor there, but early indications are that his official went very well. I exchanged a text with Bryce's father tonight and should be speaking with Bryce himself tomorrow afternoon. Likewise, Stanford will need to survive Justin Reid's Notre Dame trip, assuming he follows through and takes it. I have yet to speak to Justin or anyone close to his recruitment following the visit so I don't have a great feel for his situation quite yet, but Stanford has a lot to sell when up against ND in his recruitment. LSU's current degree of involvement is also somewhat unclear, so that's something I will try to find out this week.

Aside from that - and, of course with the big and ever-present admissions caveat - you have to like Stanford's chances with the rest of the visitors. (I do believe there is at least one prospect who has been admitted who has not publicized the news, and perhaps/probably more than one. When we confirm, or when the prospect tweets, we will report.) As I continue to get more concrete information/comments from the recruits and folks close to them, I will pass along/update my view of the prospects' status.

-Now that the Big Visit weekend has come and gone, the next major item on the recruiting calendar will be in-home visits. Stanford assistant coaches and head coach David Shaw will be on the road this week making in-home visits with their top 2015 targets and checking in on some 2016 prospects at their high schools. The coaches will be flying out tonight/tomorrow. Then, next weekend, the focus shifts to the 2016 class and QB K.J. Costello. As big as this weekend was - and it was critical - landing Costello would be a great starting point to the 2016 class. On the other hand, it goes without saying that missing on K.J. would not be good for the Cardinal.

This post was edited on 1/18 8:43 PM by Andy Drukarev

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News